Federal Red Snapper Season Shortened Again! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Federal Red Snapper Season Shortened Again!

In response to the assessment update, NOAA Fisheries Service published a final rule to increase the total allowable catch (TAC) for the Gulf red snapper fishery from 5.0 million pounds (mp) to 6.945 mp for 2010. This final rule also set the length of the 2010 recreational red snapper season in federal waters on the Gulf of Mexico to June 1 through July 23.<p class=Body>The FWC approved a federal consistency action making the state red snapper season in the Gulf of Mexico consistent with the new June 1 through July 23 federal season at its April meeting.</p><p class=Body>The governor on the Deepwater Horizon Response website says they will consider either lengthening the season, or add additional harvest time later in the year, if surveys of charter fishermen show a much smaller red snapper harvest due to cancellations of trips.</p><p class=Body>Bullshooter</p><p class=Body>Aquasport 205 w/ 150 ETEC</p>
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Federal Red Snapper Season Shortened Again!

I will believe that when I see it.
Pass Time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

With the oil slick hanging around, I'll be happy to see "snapper season" :boo

Not really sure why they do not open it now for crying out loud. Geez, flippers gonna die from obesity for crying out loud. I could have sworn I saw cellulite on a few of them last week!!

:reallycrying
Waverunnr99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I'm just going to throw this out here...

Bad data = bad models = bad limits. Hey, fudge the data and great we might be able to keep a few more fish next time. But if that throws off the data it'll hurt the fish stocks. Then whenthe fishery collapses guess how long it'll be before we get a decent limit? Who careswhat the limit is, as long as we can harvest x% of the population <span style="text-decoration: underline;">without harming theresource. I hateburning 150 bucks of fuel, 30 bucks worth of bait, losing 5 dollar jigs just to throw back a bunch of fish that we probably should be able to keep, but look at how the red snapper stocks in the GoM compares with other commercially important species elsewhere. I don't know about you but I'd much rather catch snapper on every drop than see them around 10% of their natural levels like bluefins, cod, swordfish, etc.

Then talking about how the scientists are just going to ignore the data it is completely ignorant. A public agency throwing out perfectly good data? Why? That doesn't make anysense at all.Whenever joe blow out there throws out some comment like "oh those scientists don't know anything" or go off on some rant when they clearly don't know how models or catch limits work then it just ruins the public's credibility and the comments do start tobecome worthless.

Fill out the card honestly, help correct the model with solid data and observations and we can get a great assesment about what's going on out there. They take a minute to fill out and don't require postage to mail out. I grabbed a few the last time I was at Bass Pro Shops. If you want to be responsible stewards of our fisheries help out the scientists, end of story.
alle9219 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Sailfish

Only problem with that assessment is that you assume the Feds are working with good numbers in the model as well, before putting in any data received from fishermen.

If they are working with numbers that are too high as a target for total biomass of red snapper, and then they refuse to count the gazillions of snapper on manmade structure, then the whole arguement goes off track and is nothing more than a giant Federal Boondoggle, which, quite frankly, seems to be all we can expect from the Feds these days......
angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I would encourage everyone to fill out the data cards.

If you look at the ESTIMATED catch numbers they have used for their data from the charter &amp; sport fishing fleet over the last few years, you'll want them to see what we ACTUALLY catch - and input those numbers into their models.

Wet Pleasure
29' Century WA
Yamaha 225 4-strokes
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Trigger

If you are talking about the cards that go to Chris Bradshaw, FWRI then you need to know that those cards are only for collecting data on mortality associated with hook type and where the fish is hooked for differentlengths of snappers. It does ask about snappers eaten by dolphins, sharks and birds. I suggested they use the card to collect data on snapper caught and kept as well but never got a response back. I think the state and federal biologists could work together and get one form that gives a complete picture as far as possible from the recreational fisherman. Irecord the length and hooking location of snapper I keep anyway just for my records.
snake 166 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in