Etiquette question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 10-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Etiquette question

Now I know I don't own the water or the wreck below it, but what is the common etiquette for space?

Example. I got to a public spot, marked it with a marker, and proceeded to anchor. Noone around. My anchor doesn't hold and a dude rolls up as I'm regrouping and starts fishing right by the marker. He looked like he was doing a charter with 6 people on what in would consider a 4 person fishing boat at best.

Then he says "marking up real good right here". Well no $hit Sherlock. That's why my marker is there.

He leaves and I start the process again.

Then I see Another freaking charter coming Except this guy says. "I'll wait for you to get anchored and then I'll go. I just glad you have a marker.. It makes my job easier".

So what is the etiquette? This weekend is the most boats I've ever encountered and it went from one extreme to the next.
Butler879 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Sailfish

First one there gets the worm....sounds like your marker was right where the fish were....
fairpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
White Marlin

I suggest not to use your marker, esp during RS season. Just create way point where you would normally drop marker buoy. After a short drift, pull back up and set anchor.

As far as etiquette goes, sounds like you made out fine with no major confrontations or lead slinging..haha!

Jimmy
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Sailfish

In my opinion the etiquette is, if someone is already there move on but if you have to fish the same spot as me stay at least 200' away mainly because if I get a nice fish that runs way away from the boat towards yours -guess what trophy fish lost all because your to close but you will hardly never see that around here. You get the losers that come right up next to you not say anything mark the spot and take off. Give some room .JMO
Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Deep Jigger
Ruby Red Lip

Never put out a marker....Pull up to the spot and after finding the fish with your bottom machine, be sure you are stopped completely. With your bottom machine making a track, just let your boat drift. After approx 100 yds of drift run dead on the track back over the fish and proceed in the same direction of the track for 100 yds pass the fish and drop your anchor. You should be very close to the fish once you adjust anchor length. PS you can also turn your motors to help adjust position if there is some current.
321953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Snapper

I never use a marker. If I come up on a spot and someone is there, I will usually ask. We fish with a plan to hit specific spots and I try to keep with the plan. If it comes to it, I have more spots that I can fish anyway. We will go to plan b if needed.

Usually never bother to ask if its one of the larger charter boats.

GAME ON!! Fishing Team
BLUEWATER 2350
Ron19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Sailfish

Try to get away from using markers its just too much trouble and as far as etiquette goes very few on the open ocean have any. All numbers are public in some shape form or fashion and the closer in one will always be in use by others if someone is on where i planned to go i just move on, its not worth the aggravation.
tbaxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Trigger

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I need to ditch the marker.
Butler879 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Sailfish

If you like using a marker just set it 100 yds south (or north) of the spot and position your boat accordingly. The asshats will fish the marker where the fish aint!
Lyin Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in