ethical? for what it is worth - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Snapper

Default ethical? for what it is worth

For what it is worth. I know it is not illegal and I seldom fish the I10 rubble but every time I cross that area the "head" boat AMERICA II out of Orange Beach is usually there (with lots of anglers).
I was led to believe that the Orange Beach charter boat assn. required their members to build reefs every year to remain in good standing.

I believe a large charter boat like this can clean out a very large spot rather quickly if they are persistent in returning there often.

maybe it is ok...what the heck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Grand Slam

That's what the reefs were put down for, For EVERYONE to use and enjoy. That includes Fisherman Divers, Charter boats and yes even commercial if they choose to use them which I don't think many would. There are 6 piles of the I10 bridge rubble just move on to another one if you think it's too crowded.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
That's what the reefs were put down for, For EVERYONE to use and enjoy. That includes Fisherman Divers, Charter boats and yes even commercial if they choose to use them which I don't think many would. There are 6 piles of the I10 bridge rubble just move on to another one if you think it's too crowded.
Will your above stated opinion change when sector separation goes through and the charter boats can fish any day they want as long as they have or can buy more allocation in pounds of fish, leaving State of Florida and State of Alabama private boat owning citizens a potentially shortened season or drawing in a lottery for fish tags?

I am not sure how I feel about it yet. On one hand the charter industry brings tax income along with their business, but the citizens who fish in private boats and pay taxes and live in the gulf states in counties along the coast pay taxes that go to the building of reefs as well.

How was the reef funded with Ivan relief money?
markw4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Tried to look up the exact source of funding. Did not find it, but I did find the reef was permitted/built by the escambia county marine resources division (Robert Turpin).

Really doesn't matter now. Might matter in the future particularly for me on escambia county tax funded fishing reefs located in florida State waters. Just not sure how I will feel about a chapter boat customer from Tennessee catching snapper that I don't have a right to catch and keep while fishing from my own boat in Florida state waters and we are both fishing on a reef built with escambia county tax money?

Last edited by markw4321; 07-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.
markw4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Snapper

not a problem with charters on I10 rubble, just wish it were not hit so hard by one capt.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Trigger

My last 3 trips to the I-10 I saw the same boat there. The first time they pulled up right on top of me to fish it, but they left when I pulled up a few big ones and they were not producing...last trip I saw em again but they just passed by moving on to another rubble spot. I have no prob sharing a spot w them or anyone...but the I-10 spot I was on last week was about fished out...not complaining, just fyi...
Fletch Lives is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to feelin' wright

I have seen commercial boats on public spots pretty regular in the last couple of years. Typcially it is just before snapper season opens. I have no problem with charter or commercial guys fishing artificial reefs but I do think that if you are running a commerical or charter operation and you have to fish the public numbers then you are probably a shitty (lazy) captain.

I do understand that charter captains spend a lot of money putting out their own reefs and I would not want to fish those reefs on a weekend as they would be taken by alot of other boaters but to fish one artificial reef consistantly is pretty lame.....

My question is why the hell would a OB captain run that far east to fish the rubble? With 10000 wrecks off of AL shores I would think that it would be far cheaper on him to fish off of OB. The snapper are also bigger out west so I do not understand the rationale of going to the I10 rubble.
feelin' wright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelin' wright View Post
My question is why the hell would a OB captain run that far east to fish the rubble? With 10000 wrecks off of AL shores I would think that it would be far cheaper on him to fish off of OB. The snapper are also bigger out west so I do not understand the rationale of going to the I10 rubble.
Just my take, but a "run" like that probably impresses the customers who likely have little knowledge of the area.

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in