Edge newbie - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree9Likes

Old 04-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Edge newbie

So me and my buddy are looking to finally make our first trip of the summer this Friday. He’s asking me what I want to do and since I don’t much care I’m coming to the experts.

I’m thinking make it a somewhat easy trip and do some bottom dropping for mingo and explore the edge since neither of us have made it that way yet and we want to learn it some and fish it.

Any tips and hints for where to start at the edge and what we should be looking to drift would help make it a more successful trip would be awesome! Chicken rigs with some cigar minnows would be what I assumeall we would be running but if something would work better lemme know.

Also I like trolling a good bit more than bottom dropping so if there are some other areas that I’m not thinking about that we can make some short runs to while trolling some high speed lures for wahoo or something basically just throw all of your ideas at me haha.

I’ve done quite a bit of fishing in Venice at the rigs so we can rig and run lines but not a whole bunch of experience out of destin.

We do have some numbers but really don’t want to hit those before the season opens up.
Timmayy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
White Marlin

While fishing the edge i recommend using squid/cut bait also to target mingos. Chances of a wahoo mahi or black fin are very posssible around the edge trolling/flat lining live baits
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Awesome thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
Grouper

Keep an eye on your bottom machine and zig zag from 160-250' and you'll find some areas holding bottom fish while you troll. If you don't want to higspeed you can pull divers or planer baits off the flatlines and I'd pull small feathers or jets off the riggers or other rods a good ways back for tuna. Worse case you catch kings and bonito

Southbound Apparel
Locally owned, designed and distributed
fishboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

For divers would Rapala xrap magnum 30s be good divers to run off the flatlines? And run blue and white islander ballyhoos on the riggers way back?
fishboy likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
Grouper

That'd work. The blackfin will usually eat a smaller bait better than ballyhoo hence the small jet heads or feathers. But you never know! Post a report when you're done

Southbound Apparel
Locally owned, designed and distributed
fishboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Sounds good thanks! It’s tough to get away from running those ballyhoo haha

Will do
Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Since we are headed in that direction would it be worth a stop at chepanoc to try and catch some AJ?? I figure since the season just opened it might be decently fresh or does it pretty much stay fished out by now
Old 05-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Go to Goggle Earth and zoom zoom in due south southwest of Pensacola pass about 25 to 30 miles. All that scrabble in shaded blue is rock, rock ledges and coral formations. Enough stuff to never have to fish same spot twice. You don’t really need exact numbers in those areas. Watch you fish finder in the 200 to 250 ft range. Plenty of fish in most spots.
GROUPER GHETTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Big big AJ’s inhabit almost all of the rocks, ledges, limestone formations, coral formations and drop offs in the area I describe regarding google earth. Just headed out according to what you see on google earth bearings and finding your own spots. Thousands and thousands of spots are around the south edges of the curves on google earth.
GROUPER GHETTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in