Early Cape Horn 17's feedback - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Early Cape Horn 17's feedback

For those who have or had a CH 17....how far off shore have you taken it out? I'm just curious....how confident you are/feel on this boat vs. other boats of same size.

I'm getting one rigged with an E-Tec 90HP and cant wait to put it to a test.
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Grouper

Used to run a 1990 17' with a 90hp. Most people will tell you that it is a wet ride, and I will agree that there were days that I took spray; however, those were the days that other boats stayed in the garage. If I had to do that boat over again, I would have looked for one with the 115. The 90 was not enough on it's own. Took forever to plane. After a lot of trial, error, a new 21 pitch stiletto and a hydrofoil, I finally got it to pop up when I needed it too. I topped out in the high 20's, never hit 30 mph in that boat.

We caught a shit-ton of fish out of that thing. It was great for the type of fishing I like to do (in the bay and close to the beach). I ran to a few closer wrecks (3 barges, liberty ship, mass, etc) but I was not into bottom bumping at the time.

Did I help?
timeflies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
White Marlin

I'm also interested in getting a cape 17 with a 115 and would also like to know how far out you would feel comfortable with it. Also what is the range it can go on a tank of fuel. Thanks.
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Sailfish

I have currently an aluminum prop. on that engine, but I will be testing a couple stainless props this weekend...just to have a feel for it...I may upgrade, we will see.

On my other boat ( about 1,000 lbs) i used to do 5-6 miles per gallon. With the CH at 1,340 lbs plus gear I'll be expecting a little less ...30 gallon tank @ let's say 4 to 5 miles/g . ill have over 100 miles range?...easy. Im I right?

Last edited by Fishermon; 04-05-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Mingo

I've been running my CH 17 for a couple years and am pushing it with a 130hp 2 stroke getting about 2mpg on a good day at 4200rpm going about 26mph fully loaded (40 gal fuel, ice, gear, 2 people, etc). WOT does just under 40mph depending on the conditions, I usually see 38-39 mph at 5400rpm. I feel a lot more comfortable on this boat than I would have ever expected, especially with it being my first boat. I consistently fish some public numbers out of destin all the time (the chepanoc, odyssey, angelina) that are about 17 miles south of the pass and even trolled some blue water when it came in close once about 35 miles out around the edge. Just make sure you got all the safety gear and u always boat within your comfort level and the CH will take care of the rest. Is it wet? Duh, show me a 17ft'r in the gulf that isn't. As far as those numbers with a 90 e'tec, I think that's aiming a little high. I could be wrong about the newer CH 17 weight, but mine dry is just under 1800lbs. That 90 is going to burn a lot of fuel pushing that boat, but if I'm wrong than I might be lookin into repowering for a e-tec 90hp as well

Yakker, if your in the market for a 17, mines still up for sale cuz I'm still tryin to upgrade. PM me if interested
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Snapper

I spent a lot if time a long time ago on the 17 ch and it was a very wet boat but it got the job done and fixing things on that boats always seemed really easy. Expect around 2mpg maybe a little better if proped just right but not enoigh to make a huge difference. Keep an eye on the front deck for soft spots around the access hatchs and fix them as soon as they start. If they havent started i would be proactive and reseal the deck hatches with some 3m 5200. You will have many many great days on that boat soaking wet and loaded down with fish...
1997 Flats boat 15' custom 40hp Suzuki
19?? 12' row boat (used to be my grandads)
ashcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Grouper

My boat was always capable of going further offshore than I was willing. Like most boats, the limits are your own skills, confidence and sometimes stupidity. I am not the first inline to run to the edge in a bay boat, but if you feel comfortable and have the range, it will likely take you there. I can't remember how much fuel she would hold. We always scraped up what little we had and went fishing. I don't remember ever filling the tank actually.
timeflies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
DROP TINE BUCK
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal619 View Post
130hp 2 stroke getting about 2mpg on a good day at 4200rpm going about 26mph fully loaded
2 mpg @ 4200 rpm? I'd bet its doing better than that, my Yamaha 200 2 stroke on a 22' Aquasport cruises at 25 mph @ 4100 rpm and is burning 2.55 gph...

sorry for the derail.
delta dooler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Grouper

I had a '94 with a '94 115 Yamaha 2-stroke. T-top and loaded out with gear and two people it would top out about mid-30's and would cruise mid to upper 20's. Yes it's a wet ride, but it got the job done. Very solid hull. I could cruise mid 20's and get 2.5 MPG or so. Not bad really for what it was.
bamachem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal619 View Post
I've been running my CH 17 for a couple years and am pushing it with a 130hp 2 stroke getting about 2mpg on a good day at 4200rpm going about 26mph fully loaded (40 gal fuel, ice, gear, 2 people, etc). WOT does just under 40mph depending on the conditions, I usually see 38-39 mph at 5400rpm. I feel a lot more comfortable on this boat than I would have ever expected, especially with it being my first boat. I consistently fish some public numbers out of destin all the time (the chepanoc, odyssey, angelina) that are about 17 miles south of the pass and even trolled some blue water when it came in close once about 35 miles out around the edge. Just make sure you got all the safety gear and u always boat within your comfort level and the CH will take care of the rest. Is it wet? Duh, show me a 17ft'r in the gulf that isn't. As far as those numbers with a 90 e'tec, I think that's aiming a little high. I could be wrong about the newer CH 17 weight, but mine dry is just under 1800lbs. That 90 is going to burn a lot of fuel pushing that boat, but if I'm wrong than I might be lookin into repowering for a e-tec 90hp as well

Yakker, if your in the market for a 17, mines still up for sale cuz I'm still tryin to upgrade. PM me if interested
I went and looked at your add and that's a sweet boat but out of my price range. Wish I had the cash to get it.
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in