Drag setting for Snapper Vs Jack - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Drag setting for Snapper Vs Jack

I am new to the bottom fishing game and have some questions.

What do you guys set your drag at for snapper and then for jacks?

I have read 20 to 25 lbs but then some people talk of using 20lbs leaders for snapper so they cant be using 20 lbs line and having a very high drag.

How long of a leader and what size hook for live bait fishing for jacks. I have good access to crokers but read alot of you guys like pin fish. Are pin fish that much better or just easier to obtain.

Thanks Joe
SmokenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Snapper

I use about 10lbs of drag on my 30#gear, 16-18lbs on 50lb, 20-25lb on 80lb. This is fishing snapper, grouper and AJ's. 25lbs of drag on stand up gear is a lot to control for smaller build people... something to think about if you are smaller build. As far as leader size, when I go for AJ's, I like to use 80-130# leader about 6-8 ft long depending on structure and I prefer using either blue runners or pin fish because they stay alive and frisky 150ft down. Hope that helps, it works for me
guam_bomb80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Kim
Blue Marlin

Unless you're fishing for Grouper 10 pounds of drag is a good place to start. Then all you have to do is adjust your drag as needed.

Last edited by Kim; 04-10-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to amarcafina Send a message via MSN to amarcafina

It depends on if you're gonna fish for 5lb snapper or 30 lb'er as to leader size and drag pressure. Which should be 1/3 of your line # .
Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
Mingo

Thanks guys I am not experienced enough to target one specific species of snapper, or snapper and not grouper. I am trying to find two nice quality reels that could fish for snapper, jacks and grouper or what ever else I might catch.

I was hoping to buy a nice reel. Light weight 17 to 26 oz, metal body, etc... No spinners please. I am just not sure what drag setting are used on snapper or grouper. I have read 20-25 for jacks.

I already have two Senator 4/0. and two jigging setups, two 20lbs setups but I need at least one or two more. I prefer to have as few set ups aboard as possible. I don't see how people have reels in each line class aboard and ready to go for each particular need. I mean how much room do you guys have. LOL When I go out I need to be able to fish for what ever I find or shows up.

Joe

Last edited by SmokenJoe; 04-07-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Unless you're fishing for Grouper 10 pounds of drag is a god place to start. Then all you have to do is adjust your drag as needed.
Thanks. What if I include grouper. I like to set it up before I go and just remember were 10, 15 or 20lbs is. At at least on the lever drags.

Joe
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Grouper

My rule of thumb is pretty standard - like amaracfina - set the drag to about 1/3 the breaking strength of the line with the lever at the strike position.
(also consistent with Guam-bomb's numbers - and his leader selection is about what i use also)

I will push beyond strike only when there is a big risk of a jack or grouper taking me into a wreck/rig/rock - during the fight

I don't really adjust drags for species - But if I am fishing for Jacks, Grouper, or ever big Black snapper, I am ready to push the drag beyond strike and risk a line break rather than a sure cut off.

Last edited by Mullethead; 04-07-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Mullethead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Sailfish

Folks often have no idea how much drag weight feels like...

If you set the drag so you can lift a gallon of water (8.8 lbs iirc) and have folks on the rod, with the gallon hidden, guess how much they are lifting...... Not too many will guess it at under 10 lbs. and most will likely be guessing in excess of 25#...

Since trolling involves super quick takeoff from rest to spin, I usually will set drag at 20% for strike and either move lever or crank down star or knob once it is a fight.

But for bottom work I would set it from 30-40% up to 70%+ depending on species and bottom structure and caught/cutoff ratio of the day...

Brent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in