Dolphin - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Dolphin

Still making the transition to salt. One of my main goals is to hook up some dolphin on a fly. I'm running a Nautic Bay 2200, Yamaha 250 4 stroke with a 55-60mph top end.Great boat but not really good for large chop, 4' plus. I understand the"weed line" is the place to be.What would be the minimum distannce I could run out to hook up on some and still be able to run in in the event of some rough stuff blowing in?
Dragnfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Dolphin

Sometimes in June they are within a few miles. Water quality is everything = east wind helps.
fmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

June or july will give you the best weather although the odds of a pop-up T'storm increase in july. Like said above, water quality is everything and you need good clean water, not necessarily blue, to push in close to the shore. If we get good SE winds blowing throughout may and june you could probably encounter some dolphin within 15 miles or so more reliably.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Dragnfly (3/1/2009)Still making the transition to salt. One of my main goals is to hook up some dolphin on a fly. I'm running a Nautic Bay 2200, Yamaha 250 4 stroke with a 55-60mph top end.Great boat but not really good for large chop, 4' plus. I understand the"weed line" is the place to be.What would be the minimum distannce I could run out to hook up on some and still be able to run in in the event of some rough stuff blowing in?
Is it a 2200 bay or a 2200 offshore? That's going to make a big difference as to whether or not youshould take it 20+ miles offshore. Especially if you are "new to the salt".

Not trying to be condescending, just saying that some people go out there in little skiffs and pontoon boats. They're just asking for trouble.
P-cola_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Trigger

Yeah, its a 2200 Nautic bay bought it new last year,nice boat, itwould take some rough stuff but why push it. Yes I've seen Pro 17' Bass Trackers in the gulf, dont think I'd do it, no, I know I wouldnt do it! Did some salt growing up. A little "near shore" fishing in the Gulf, even though my Dad had a 32' Trojan, being a former Marine he didnt like to get out of sight of the shore. Some bay fishing, lots of surf. I am finding after 30 years of bass fishing I am lacking in a lot of basic knowledge about the salt. Dont get me wrong, I catch some fish, but need to know much more. I'm going to hook up a dolphin on afly this year, when I do it will be posted! Thanks to everyone for the info.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Sailfish

You can sometimes find dolphin in the pass. I would say run out to maybe the russian freighter or pete tide and anchor up and put out a chum slick. Keep an eye out for little weedlines, floating stuff, and most important FADS. We found a fad last year and caught dolphin and kings all day long and it was less than 1 miles from land. I like a light rod with pompano jigs. You'll be fine in your boat just look at the weather and keep an eye out for thunderstorms. If I can make fishing in the gulf work with a 14 foot john boat then you can in a 22 bay boat.

Heres a short day on a FAD. The kings were caught on live dolphin. Lost a smoker at the gaff on mono leader.

JoshH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Mingo

I have a 24 ft bayboat that I have no fear of going 25 plus miles on nice day,just be smart on good day.We get alot from june thru aug every year.
seachaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
Trigger

14' john boat...well you be the man!:bowdown Just one question, what is a FAD? Floating debri?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Dragnfly (3/3/2009)what is a FAD? Floating debri?
FIsh Attracting Device. anything from a pre-manufactured piece of tarp and PVC to a submerged palm tree, oil rig, mooring buoy, etc. etc. etc.
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in