Divers popping up next to boats? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Mingo

Angry Divers popping up next to boats?

We went out Saturday, had a great day maxed out on snapper. We were at our first spot, Paradise, nice number of boats were there. We saw some really nice snapper being pulled in. A DIVE boat showed up anchored very close to afew of the outer boats. The next things we knew...the divers where popping up in between boats and in the middle of all of us. It was like a switch..no one were catching fish. Then we departed went all the way out to the Russian freighter there were some boats out there. It was beautiful...fish were everywhere. We were having a good time, then here comes that same Dive boat. It pulls up and anchors...we are less than 300 yards or so away from them , they are closer to other boats. I am fishing on the starboard side...I see bubbles not even 10 feet from the boat. My question is ... if we come up on a Dive boat and they are in the water....we are not to pull up and start fishing? Right? And how far are they to anchor from us fishing boats when we are already out there fishing? Or who cares? I am not trying to piss anyone off...I already am Can someone please help me out with this...
Lil Curve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Grand Slam

All you have to do if Divers are down is be cautious when approaching the wreck and let the anchor down slowly. keep a watch for there bubbles. If it's a public wreck we should all share it after all the charters are arranged weeks in advance and they shouldn't be changed because some fisherman is fishing a public spot that was put down for everyone to enjoy. There is no law that says you can't approach a diver or fisherman on a wreck only proceed at idle speed and keep a watch so no one gets injured. USE COMMON SENSE or build you own reefs and hope I don't find them.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Grouper

Been there before multiple times, same boat everytime.... It sucks when that happens. We've been out on the Russian freighter and a few other holes and had the dive boat "Viking" pull up and anchor in between multiple boats fishing with lines in water and the bite just shutdown. Bubbles rolling up all around the boats and divers coming up in between us. Gotta love it.... Last time on the Russian freighter it was like a parking lot when that dive boat pulled in amongst everyone. We just packed it up and headed for another spot. Unfortunately, not much else you can do in that situation but very irritating when the fish are biting and then shutdown when divers go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Curve View Post
We went out Saturday, had a great day maxed out on snapper. We were at our first spot, Paradise, nice number of boats were there. We saw some really nice snapper being pulled in. A DIVE boat showed up anchored very close to afew of the outer boats. The next things we knew...the divers where popping up in between boats and in the middle of all of us. It was like a switch..no one were catching fish. Then we departed went all the way out to the Russian freighter there were some boats out there. It was beautiful...fish were everywhere. We were having a good time, then here comes that same Dive boat. It pulls up and anchors...we are less than 300 yards or so away from them , they are closer to other boats. I am fishing on the starboard side...I see bubbles not even 10 feet from the boat. My question is ... if we come up on a Dive boat and they are in the water....we are not to pull up and start fishing? Right? And how far are they to anchor from us fishing boats when we are already out there fishing? Or who cares? I am not trying to piss anyone off...I already am Can someone please help me out with this...

Last edited by slackwolf; 06-12-2011 at 10:19 PM.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
White Marlin

Some people are just rude and uncaring...goes with the territory.
FrankwT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

They're fishing just like the rest of us. They just get closer and can pick out which ones they want.
You can't be any more mad at a dive boat on places like the P Hole and Freighter than you would another angler.
Those are the most public of public spots.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
All you have to do if Divers are down is be cautious when approaching the wreck and let the anchor down slowly. keep a watch for there bubbles. If it's a public wreck we should all share it after all the charters are arranged weeks in advance and they shouldn't be changed because some fisherman is fishing a public spot that was put down for everyone to enjoy. There is no law that says you can't approach a diver or fisherman on a wreck only proceed at idle speed and keep a watch so no one gets injured. USE COMMON SENSE or build you own reefs and hope I don't find them.

It does get frusrating, but. Like Sealark said those trips are made well in advance of most of the hard dates we set as rec fishers. Look at it this way, move off a little and you'll find the piece that the fish are at after the divers scare em all off! Everybody say HMMMMMM!
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
Grand Slam

Did you say HMMMMM?
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Trigger

that shit was awesome listening to you give them a piece of your mind at the freighter, talk about entertaining.
Live2Kayak~Kayak4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
Sailfish

You have no clue what you are talking about. I have been down there diving and watch hooks drop in and fish eat them and the angler catches a fish. Divers do NOT scare the fish away. That just shows how ignorant you are to diving. If divers scare them away then how do we get all the big fish? Fish will literally swarm all over the place. Sometimes you have to physically move the fish to get to a bigger one. If you want a private spot to fish on, buy one.

Bubble watchers on our boats catch as many as we do when we dive. They just can't be as selective as we can.
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
Videographer
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Curve View Post
Although I myself try to give other boats their space, I don't think you can really justify being mad at another boat pulling up 300 yards away on the Freighter. That is somewhere around 900 feet right!??? Assuming that is correct, and that they were even diving the same wreck, your bites probably stopped because you were no longer above the wreck.
Divers don't intentionally dive arounds hooks, and it is deceptive as to where the divers are, because the bubbles can drift quite a ways in the current before they surface. Anyway, I would hope that fishermen would realize that it is not too much to ask for us to share the reef for 30 minutes or so, before we head on the the next.....as you have probably been sitting there for half a day.
The freighter IS a spot that draws charters that are booked weeks in advance, and the Captain would be out of business pretty quickly if he did not deliver.
All that said, divers are not all bad.....here is a video of the Freighter as a peace offering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in