Deep Water Bottom Fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Deep Water Bottom Fishing

I thought I'd try out some of the deeper spots today but I got skunked. I think that I just wasn't set up for bottom fishing in 200 feet of water. My tackle works well in the shallower water I'm used to fishing in but I think it's too light for anything deeper than 120' or so. Normally I like to drift when bottom fishing but that doesn't seem to work too well over deeper spots.

I wasn't able to find a bite on the shallower spots I hit on the way in either.

Any suggestions? Do most of you guys drift or anchor when bottom fishing?
Naby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Grand Slam

The best way to try deep water spots is to hold up on the numbers because there are different currents at different depths in water over 200 feet. You will also need more weight to stay on the bottom.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
WW2
Sailfish

Like Sealark said, using the right weight is very important as you go deeper and thus your gear needs to be able to handle the heavier weights. As far as drifting versus anchoring I think that often depends on he spot. If the currents are working in my favor I prefer to drift the spot, but when the currents are being difficult I prefer to anchor up in a way that will get my bait where I want it consistently.
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Snapper

Thanks for the info, the first thing I need to do get some heavier tackle. I'm looking at the Newell 540. It has a higher gear ratio than Penn's 6/0 and it's made in the USA still.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Snapper

its very important to slow your drift down on deep spots.. alot of time this can be achieved with an experienced boat driver.. sometimes its as simple as just putting the boat in the lowest reverse.. sometimes you have to bump it..

heres a hint.. keep in the eye on your buddys line.. use it as a reference.. keep it up and down.. stay focus on the line and bottom machine.. as soon as you look away you are tangling lines or turning the boat! lol

a pound of lead or more is usually needed for good bottom time..
karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

The most efficient way to bottomfish regardless of how deep is having someone experienced at the helm. Whether drifting or anchoring, if the person driving knows how the current and wind will effect the boat you will spend more time fishing a spot and less time running back around to get on top of it. Practice makes perfect and most days I'd rather be on the wheel instead of holding a rod if it means we will stay on the spot longer and more fish will go in the box.

Proper weights are definitely important too but nothing weighs more than who's on the wheel
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Snapper

Chris V I could not agree with you more. But will add the ones fishing needs to know what they are doing also. Fishing deep is a total crew effort.But the helmmans calls all the shots to be successful at putting fish on the ice.We have found that 20 oz is more then enough weight in 900 feet. I might add to use Hi Vis braid on both reels to aide the driver see the line angel. Once a fish is hook,the driver plays to the one hooked up. At this time the other angler is pretty much on his own for a few mintues.This helps to keep the line clear. Gene
user6993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Snapper

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
Snapper

What kind of tackle are you guys using?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
Sailfish

I would recommend using a shimano torium or trinidad depending on your budget, and penn reels are no longer made in the usa, if you are wanting a usa made reel look into the Avet, and go with a braided line.
doradohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in