deep dropping setups - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default deep dropping setups

I've gone deep dropping twice in the last couple of weeks and I'm hooked. I want to get a couple of rods and reels but I'm not sure about the best way to go. I used a Tanacom Bull the first time and a Precision reel the second time. The Bull was great but I'm not sure I can stomach the cost for two of them. What is the best way to get a couple of good setups without spending a ton of money? I've done some reasearch and found Fish-Winch reels that are $299 w/o the reel but I don't know if they have the power/speed to get fish+5lbs of lead up from 1000ft? There are a lot of Japanese companies that make the reels but I'm unsure about the quality and replacemnet parts? Also I have a Raymarine C120 and I know to get serious about deep dropping I'll have to up grade my transducer, any ideas? Any advice would be appreciated!

Ben
4wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Ben I've got two of the Fish-Winch's. They have plenty of power but I have never fished with any other electric's so I can't compare speed's. Fish winch also has twice as long of a warranty as the others. I bought the two I have in December and have never had any trouble with them. I have used them for deep droppping 2 or 3 times but they are used mostly by my father and other people that can't handle the all day reeling of bottom fishing in 200'-300'. I have no complaints about my two. They work fine.

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

JoeyWelch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
eating tasty
White Marlin

I know what you mean about it being addictive. I've been a few times myself, and done it manually (gets old quick, even with a fast reel) and just yesterday bought my first setup (TB 1000 with a bent butt). But way before I did that, I upgraded my transducer. I now have a Airmar B164 1000 watt with the tilted element (flush mounts with bottom of my boat) and the difference is night and day from my old 600 watt xducer. I can hold bottom at 32 mph up to about 600 ft, and if I slow down read it at 100o ft. Mind you, this is paired into the garmin GSD22 sounder and a 3210 chartplotter which apparently aren't the best as far as fishfinders go. If you have the same B164 with a furuno sounder, supposedly the results are even better, but I am more than satisfied. I can see everything I need to see.

Bobby (xshark on this forum and the GCFC did the install for me and did a beautiful clean job. I didn't feel comfortable drilling a 3 3/4" hole by myself in the bottom of my boat. If you get serious about it, pm him and he will get you set up.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Grand Slam

FenderBender I have the same xducer and your right about drilling the hole. I installed it myself and about half way through the hole cutting process I got to thinking about what I was doing and felt like crying. It turned out fine but next time someone else will do it for me. Just don't feel right. That's a big ole hole!

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

JoeyWelch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
eating tasty
White Marlin

Yeah, holes below the waterline are scary. Especially ones you can stick a grapefruit through. That's what professionals are for!
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in