Deep dropping Areas to target - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By jlw1972
  • 1 Post By FenderBender
  • 1 Post By SHANE704

Old 04-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Deep dropping Areas to target

Just looking for some general information around deep dropping areas. When targeting I’m looking at some of these spots with the red lines around them.. Any suggestions on some areas to hit without spending a ton of gas searching? Looking for snowy grouper and snapper mainly.. what depth minimum should I look for? Would like to try for tile but know they’re in the mud, flat deeper area. I hear about guys running 60 miles out of Pcola pass, do you need to go that far?

Feel free to PM me (if you have some numbers!) not looking for exact spots just want to get a good return, Thanks!

I use a Diawa tanicom
Attached Thumbnails
Deep dropping Areas to target-43bd8ae2-0a19-45b2-bdb2-2b7838a9ea1a_1554684450091-jpg   Deep dropping Areas to target-4b4c9d7a-4b07-432d-ab57-3f8da1e1511a_1554684680145-jpg   Deep dropping Areas to target-6af80c36-65b1-4d6d-9f6c-2a1ccac7594a_1554684727796-jpg  
Durkee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
Grand Slam

To catch deep water fish, you need deep water. 50 miles plus.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

Last edited by jlw1972; 04-07-2019 at 09:39 PM.
jlw1972 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
eating tasty
White Marlin

Not sure what kind of bathymetric software you posted your picture with, but the spots you circled looked promising.

The general nipple/131 area is good for tiles. Head to the elbow and towards the dumping grounds and steps and you should be able to find rocky areas with grouper. If you aren't familiar with the places I've named you can find them with a google search or on the forum. They aren't specific numbers like a wreck but large general fishy areas of deep water natural bottom.

400-700ft or more for yellowedge and snowy. 650+ for tiles in my experience.
jack2 likes this.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Thumbs up

Thanks, appreciate the info. I was planning on trolling around those areas and marking bottom that looks nice or marking fish and come back to drop on a few spots. I've never caught a tile fish and want to get one or a few soon. The depth recommendations help. I've only used this reel once in the Bahamas last year deep dropping and got a bunch of yellow eye.. with the seasons so jacked up in the gulf I want to get more fish to eat.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
Not sure what kind of bathymetric software you posted your picture with, but the spots you circled looked promising.

The general nipple/131 area is good for tiles. Head to the elbow and towards the dumping grounds and steps and you should be able to find rocky areas with grouper. If you aren't familiar with the places I've named you can find them with a google search or on the forum. They aren't specific numbers like a wreck but large general fishy areas of deep water natural bottom.

400-700ft or more for yellowedge and snowy. 650+ for tiles in my experience.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Looks like the c-mor map chip...I was wondering how detailed they are for that area and it looks pretty good on your machine. Might have to order it, although I was talking to the Simrad guys at the boat show and they mentioned I might want to hold off as there is something new coming toward the end of the month...the didn't say much more though.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

look for ledges and hard bottom while trolling...once you find a spot or two, setup your drift. you will likely find more spots in an area once you start drifting.
Durkee likes this.
SHANE704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Talking

I looked at C-more but went with Strikelines.. much cheaper at $200 for their chip. I like it a lot and can buy 3 areas for what it cost for 1 area of C-more. I think both have compatible options and not worth the extra $. There are minor differences and everyone has their own opinion but for me i'm good with it and think it's really cool. I just upgraded electronics from an older Raymarine system to all Simrad Evo3, side scan, radio, and radar (I'm pumped to use it on some deeper water and at the rigs) the other system didn't work good after 600'. Kinda like the first time you watched and HD tv https://www.pensacolafishingforum.co...ons/icon10.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by double uppers View Post
Looks like the c-mor map chip...I was wondering how detailed they are for that area and it looks pretty good on your machine. Might have to order it, although I was talking to the Simrad guys at the boat show and they mentioned I might want to hold off as there is something new coming toward the end of the month...the didn't say much more though.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Nice...just checked out the strikelines. Looks the same to me for less. I like it.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Nice.. that's the same thing i thought . I got the chip in about three days after ordering it. I had one small issue because my dumb A$$ didn't read instructions and check "Shade Relief". After I did that it worked awesome. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double uppers View Post
Nice...just checked out the strikelines. Looks the same to me for less. I like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in