Clarification of federal waters for Alabama Snapper Season - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree2Likes

Old 05-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Clarification of federal waters for Alabama Snapper Season

So as I see it for June 1st AL snapper season, ????you can fish anywhere in federal waters for snapper and long as you come back in only in Alabama State waters and land your fish their at boat ramp and you possess an Alabama License ???You can’t enter FL state waters for any reason if you posses red snapper on board until June 11th.
GROUPER GHETTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Snapper

That's the safest way to keep a few snapper and avoid any miscommunications with the leos.

I leave out of orange beach and don't even cut across the corner of Florida waters when returning.
gator75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
Grouper

If federal is open then go fish fed waters AND DO NOT STOP AND FISH FLA STATE WATERS ON YOUR WAY BACK. It's simple.
neckmoe likes this.

Last edited by dustyflair; 05-02-2018 at 12:42 PM.
dustyflair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
Snapper

Yeah it seems pretty simple, but you are in possession of an out of season fish in Florida waters. If you have to have snapper and travel through Florida waters, not only would I advise you not to stop and fish, but I wouldn't even slow down. I also wouldn't land at a Florida boat ramp or marina either. But hey, that's just my advise/opninion.

Last edited by gator75; 05-02-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator75 View Post
Yeah it seems pretty simple, but you are in possession of an out of season fish in Florida waters. If you have to have snapper and travel through Florida waters, not only would I advise you not to stop and fish, but I wouldn't even slow down. I also wouldn't land at a Florida boat ramp or marina either. But hey, that's just my advise/opninion.
Not stopping to fish is the CRUX of the case.
dustyflair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPER GHETTO View Post
So as I see it for June 1st AL snapper season, ????you can fish anywhere in federal waters for snapper and long as you come back in only in Alabama State waters and land your fish their at boat ramp and you possess an Alabama License ???You can’t enter FL state waters for any reason if you posses red snapper on board until June 11th.
From the FWc site:

"News
Gulf Red Snapper

The recreational red snapper season for both Gulf state and federal waters will open June 11-July 20, closing July 21."

Note that it says Federal waters also. So 200 miles out is closed off shore of
Florida until the Florida season opens.

That's what I make of it, anyone else care to agree or disagree?

Edit:
After more research Florida fed waters are OK to fish just no fish can be "landed" in Florida. Per this site:

http://gulfcouncil.org/press/2018/20...son-announced/

"REGULATIONS FOR FISHING IN FEDERAL WATERS:

Anglers fishing from private vessels:

When fishing for red snapper in federal waters, private anglers will need a permit, license, or registration from the state in which they intend to land the fish.

Anglers can fish anywhere in federal waters, including in federal waters off a state with a closed season, if the state where they intend to land is open."

Last edited by ST1300rider; 05-02-2018 at 05:07 PM.
ST1300rider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Snapper

That is for BOTH Fl state and federal waters at the same time. Fed opens up along with Alabama June 1. One can certainly fish fed waters and attempt to land in Florida between June 1-10th. Just hope the Leo who checks your cooler at the ramp believes you when you say you caught those snapper past nine miles... and that he's in a good mood.

Fed opens June 1.
http://gulfcouncil.org/wp-content/up...e-04_30_18.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1300rider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPER GHETTO View Post
From the FWc site:

"News
Gulf Red Snapper

The recreational red snapper season for both Gulf state and federal waters will open June 11-July 20, closing July 21."

Note that it says Federal waters also. So 200 miles out is closed off shore of
Florida until the Florida season opens.

That's what I make of it, anyone else care to agree or disagree?

Last edited by gator75; 05-02-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
Trigger

I added edits to my above post:

Edit:
After more research Florida fed waters are OK to fish just no fish can be "landed" in Florida. Per this site:

http://gulfcouncil.org/press/2018/20...son-announced/

"REGULATIONS FOR FISHING IN FEDERAL WATERS:

Anglers fishing from private vessels:

When fishing for red snapper in federal waters, private anglers will need a permit, license, or registration from the state in which they intend to land the fish.

Anglers can fish anywhere in federal waters, including in federal waters off a state with a closed season, if the state where they intend to land is open."
ST1300rider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

So you have to fish only in AL State waters or Federal waters that are within the east and west AL state lines out to 200 miles ??? I was thinking Federal was anything past 9 mike mark. Confusing
Old 05-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Disregard last post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in