Chicken coops - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Chicken coops

The more and more I hear about chicken coops, the more interested I become in personal deployment. Whenever I Google "chicken coops", elaborate and fancy coops come up but when i look at dive videos it seems like the coops are simple rectangular prism structures. My main question is where in the world do people buy the coops to deploy, or would it be easier to make them? Any response would be appreciated.

P.S I have a "barge" to deploy them, I just do not have the supplies to deploy
UA_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Mingo

they get them from chicken farmers... work great....some captains will "sell" them and deploy them for you. very productive devices
lcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

I can deploy them. I was just curious where to get them. Or how to make them would be fine. What are the normal dimensions, materials, etc..?
UA_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Trigger

4 ft' x 4 1/2 ft. by 8 ft. 700 lbs. each .. put out 2 or 3 per spot
younghooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Snapper

They are the cages used to transport chickens down the highway. I'm sure everyone on here has seen a flat bed truck full of chickens. That flatbed is loaded two high and usually 8 or 9 cages deep. You usually have to get them by the truckload from a chicken processing house, and last time I bought any there were $75 each. To have them deployed by reef maker is $150 each I believe. A two or three coop spot will hold a ton of fish, and from my experience will hold good fish sooner than any other reef material out there. The only con is that because of there design they are more moved/destroyed by storms regularly. Pyramids are good too. The pros to the chicken cages is that a two coop spot is cheaper than a pyramid and holds, in my opinion, more fish and holds fish sooner than a pyramid. The pros to the pyramid is that it will withstand more weather and last longer (though a storm like Ivan may still move it or bury it), and you can attach a fad to hold amberjack. If you are going to do it yourself, you'll need a way to load them on the boat/barge. A two coop spot will weigh over 1000#s. You will also need to rig up a way to get them off the boat/barge without tearing it up or tearing yourself up. A crane is the best way, but pure muscle will work too.

The only negative to either pyramids or coops is that in my opinion, you need to put them at least 30 miles out unless you fish at night or on rough weekdays. On a pretty weekend day with our short season, chances are you won't be able to fish it on a pretty Saturday without losing it to another boat.

Having a $500-1000 spot stolen and absolutely cleaned out by another boat hurts. Get several spots, more is better, because some (probably close to half) will eventually be found. And depending on who finds it, they will absolutely destroy it. But, if you want to consistently have the opportunity to catch big snapper throughout the season, putting out reefs is the way to do it.
SnapperSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in