Catching shimp with cast net. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree4Likes

Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Catching shimp with cast net.

I met a guy one time that told me he used to use corn meal as bait and would use a cast net near the pass when the tide was going out to catch shrimp. Has anyone else done this? If so how do you do it?
chris a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Grouper

Don't know about using a cast net but I remember going with my dad out on the fishing walkway on the Key Biscayne bridge years ago at night and hanging a large square dip net down in the water. He then suspended a Coleman lantern on another rope just above the water over the net. He used cornmeal in a cheese cloth sack for bait. He also threw half a handful of cornmeal loose in the net for "chum" above the net when he lowered it into the water.

My dad would tell me when to yank up the lantern and then he would pull up the dipnet quickly and it would be full of shrimp! I wondered why he hauled an empty 30 gallon trash can down to that walkway with a 2 wheeled hand truck? It wasn't because the trash can was so heavy going down, but it was full of shrimp coming back up!!

Next day he and I went around the neighborhood in Coral Gables handing out plastic bags full of shrimp to all the retired neighbors and friends he knew who couldn't afford to buy shrimp. .......... Just something my dad enjoyed doing.
submariner and Crazy Old Phil like this.
Framerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Grouper

In LA we would chum with dried and canned pet food in off seawalls and then cast net em at night under lights. This worked in areas of slow current - and the shrimp were huge - 10 to 12 count ! Salt Bayou in Slidell, in Sept/October - a good night was 10 lb over an hour or so - more or less
Mullethead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

They used to cast net 'em on the bridges on hwy90 and Escambia fill. Until someone reared back and hit a car, then they banned fishing from the bridges there. I forget the month they start grouping up for breeding, might be Sept/Oct like Mullethead says?
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Mingo

Thanks guys for the info. Since blue water is too far out to fish I'll probably try the shrimping this weekend. I'll let you know how I do.
chris a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

We do it off my dock with holes poked into canned cat food. Let the can sit for a while and throw the cast net over them. Most of the time you can't even see them but they will be there.
Dreamchaser69 likes this.
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

I have not done the cornmeal thing but have caught many shrimp with a cast net. big ones too, mostly in Cape San Blas in the little canals at night blind casting. Full moon helps, at least for me it produced more, maybe just luck but who knows.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Default Shrimp bait

I have never tried it in Pensacola, but when I was stationed in Georgia, we would make the trip to Hunting Island in South Carolina and camp.
While there I made friends with some of the locals and I ended up going shrimping with them.
They used bait balls that were made with 50% fish meal and 50 % of the local mud. Some guys swore by using some additives, the oil from a can of sardines, cola, honey, but the guys I went with did not add anything.
They would mix it in construction buckets, make a ball about the size of a soft ball, slightly flatten it, then sit it in the sun to dry.
It would dry all day, that evening we would launch the boats, they would drive a PVC pipe into the mud, 6-8 foot of water, and about 6 feet out from the PVC they would ease that baitball over the side.
we would go to each one about every 30 to 45 minutes, throw a casr net over where the ball was and the amount that we caught was incredible...
Fill up a 48 qt cooler in just a couple of hours.
I have checked and you can use this method in Florida, except you cannot do it at night...Why? Beats the oysters out of me... but being the cynic I am, it makes certain you can't catch many and have to by them from commercial operations.
I hope to move back to Pensacola in the next couple of months and gi
ve it a try at home.

Good luck
levelman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
Dreamchaser Racing
Ruby Red Lip

Hey there! I am moving to GB / tiger point in a few months. * used to crab, shrimp and fish NE FLA. I can't find anything on shrimping in GB. Eventually I will have a dock which has canal and sound front in tiger point. How, where, when do shrimp run in this area?
Dreamchaser69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #10
Sailfish

I live real close to the florida town ramp, during football season me and a couple of the older guys watch that area like a hawk. When they show up we slip out and load up on nice sized shrimp, then we ease back to the trucks. To much comotion and every tom dick and harry from 20 miles will show up. One day they are there and the next day they may be gone.
Getsome likes this.
capt'n slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in