Catching Bait at the Destin East Pass Question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Catching Bait at the Destin East Pass Question

Seems the bait boats can't keep up with demand since snapper season opened. I certainly do appreciate them but we lost a couple of hours and wasted fuel by my not be better prepared for alternate bait catching methods. Yep, we had a bait trap out that apparently got robbed. According to a guy that was sitting at the ramp, a single small center console pulled up several traps in the area before taking off.

But anyway, I see the bait guys setting up a chum line with cast net to catch bait. Is there any reason anyone else can't do the same?? I saw a few folks trolling around trying for a throw but didn't appear to be successful without chumming. Sabiki's are ok but s l o w going. I would appreciate any tips anyone can provide. Pinfish aren't a problem but cigs, etc. seem to be pretty tough to get.
SteveFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Mingo

sabikis should work so just go to some jettes or go in the gulf and look for schools

rednecks rule

Last edited by Redneckracoon; 06-12-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Redneckracoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Kim
Blue Marlin

Catch your bait near the channel markers preferably not in the navigation channel. Also if you go west of the pass in 15 - 20 feet of water you can see the bait fish as well as have them show on the bottom machine.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

We went out on Sat with frozen cigs expecting to buy bait, no bait boat around. Couldn't figure that one out unless every bait pod we saw were LYs. And there were pods all over the place.
Chumming should work but what kind of chum? We've smashed cigs and put em above gold hooks when they were picky so that means they will eat meat. I've seen the bait guys pitching out brown stuff, from a distance it looked like pellets, before tossing the net.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Trigger

There is always plentify amount of bait outside the pass -- be there early.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

There's bait everywhere out there, I usually try to push a school onto a flat and throw a net on them but like stated above there always on the ledge outside the pass and if you want a variety fish the markers. The later in the day they move deeper and are harder to catch. Sometime the cigs won't bite bare hooks but I've never had a problem catching threadfins. If you get desperate head into the harbor or any deep dock and tip your sabiki with shrimp or squid and catch pinfish. Or throw bait out and when the pinfish swarm it throw a net on top. I use all these methods successfully.
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in