Braided Line replacement - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Braided Line replacement

I fish 65 pound power pro on my spinning reels. How often should it be replaced if I'm fishing about once a week? Clearly I don't want to wait until it starts failing before I change it. Also, could somebody explain the purpose of a "Top shot" set up and the pros/cons? I've never fished that set up and catch plenty of fish. Am I missing something? Thanks.
L/D Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Braided Line replacement

Thanks Captain,

I'll pick some up today.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
L/D Max (3/14/2009)Also, could somebody explain the purpose of a "Top shot" set up and the pros/cons? I've never fished that set up and catch plenty of fish. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Braid has very little or no stretch, top shot gives you that stretch. Easier to change hooks and lures (if you are not using a mono leader). I don't use a topshot on everthing ie Bass fishing I just use PP and a 18-24" leader.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Should use mono or flourocarbon?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
L/D Max (3/14/2009)Should use mono or flourocarbon?
If you are using a top shot of any great length, I'd use mono due to $$$

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Trigger

On a recent trip we bought new powerpro ranging from 65,80,100lb test and the 80lb test line snapped while hooked up with fish(two seperate times on two seperate reels). the drag wasn't too much the fish freely pulled off 150yds easily and the rods had no frays in the eyes. the 100lb test snapped twice as well. anyone encounter these problems?
ateupwitit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
ateupwitit (3/14/2009)On a recent trip we bought new powerpro ranging from 65,80,100lb test and the 80lb test line snapped while hooked up with fish(two seperate times on two seperate reels). the drag wasn't too much the fish freely pulled off 150yds easily and the rods had no frays in the eyes. the 100lb test snapped twice as well. anyone encounter these problems?
It was probably just the powerpro. I've heard of a lot of people having problems like yours with it. That's why I began switching to different braids.
First Catch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
ateupwitit (3/14/2009)On a recent trip we bought new powerpro ranging from 65,80,100lb test and the 80lb test line snapped while hooked up with fish(two seperate times on two seperate reels). the drag wasn't too much the fish freely pulled off 150yds easily and the rods had no frays in the eyes. the 100lb test snapped twice as well. anyone encounter these problems?
Not just PP having that problem. I had brand new 50# braided Suffix do the same a couple months back. Re-spooled withPP but will consider changingback to suffix when it's time to replace thePP (justthink I got a bad batch of Suffix)

Jimmy
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Kim
Blue Marlin

You say the power pro line broke. What were the conditions? Were you snagged on the bottom, was a fish on, did you drop the rod to the gunnel?? What was the position of the rod when hooked up?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
First Catch (3/14/2009)
Quote:
It was probably just the powerpro. I've heard of a lot of people having problems like yours with it. That's why I began switching to different braids.
I've used Power Pro for years and have never been broke off by a fish. I've had 100lb power pro snag a wreck and had to cut it because I couldn't break it pulling with the drag locked down and the rod tip pointed at the water pulling the pole straight up. Not sure what happened in both of your situations but that has not been a problem with the Power Pro I use. Even stuff I've had on the reels for a couple years is still just as strong. When the season starts I pull off the first 20 or 30 feet and cut it since it was on the top of the spool but other than that I haven't done anything special to preserve it.
69Viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in