Bottom rig - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Catchemall
Unread 02-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Bottom rig

I'm using a penn 5/0 to fish for grouper, snapper and am looking for a smaller rig. Would like to have something around the size of my Ambassadeur 5500 that would hold @150 yards of 50 lb. braid with gears and drag to match. What ya got?
turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
Grouper

There's a lot of good smaller reels out there but finding one the size of your Ambassadeur that will stop big bottom fish would be tough. I really like the Avet JXG2 and with 28 pounds of drag it has handled some big fish but even though it's light and small for a bottom reel, it's not a 5500c.
Wugitus likes this.
Unread 02-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
I'm using a penn 5/0 to fish for grouper, snapper and am looking for a smaller rig. Would like to have something around the size of my Ambassadeur 5500 that would hold @150 yards of 50 lb. braid with gears and drag to match. What ya got?
My rigs look the same. Although when trying for grouper, I’ll got to 80-100# braid. I used the standard egg sinker with a monofilament leader last season. I’m going to try the Carolina rigs everybody seems to love this year!
canygaar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Today, 08:48 AM   #4
Trigger

I'll second getting at Avet. I have the Avet MXJ6/4 Raptor and it's an absolute beast for it's size. I've pulled 65lb AJ's out of wrecks with this reel and it casts a mile. It's my go to jigging reel for blackfin tuna but I also use it for snapper. I have about 400 yards of braid on it and it'll handle almost anything short of a 200+lb fish. (even then if played right...you'll have a chance) https://www.avetreels.net/reels/mx-s...d-up-reel.html
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 11:43 AM   #5
JVT
Trigger

Accurate and Avet for size and amount of drag you can apply. I have also used the Penn International 975 (bait caster) effectively for snapper, scamp, blackfins, and smaller jacks, but it does not have the drag pressure that an Accurate has.
JVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in