Bottom Fishing Leader Material - "If Not Fluoro, then..." - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By broach-man

Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Question Bottom Fishing Leader Material - "If Not Fluoro, then..."

Just a question to throw at the group. There are mixed perspectives on when to use and when not to use Fluorocarbon Leader. I honestly have not found the time "not to use it."

On a party boat, with 30 other "competing" anglers, with 50% of those anglers utilizing the exact technique, bait, etc., is it not better to be different?

I have utilized Seaguar; YoZuri; Stren; and most recently Ande fluorocarbon because of the price, but I continuously fall back on Seaguar Premier or just the Blue.

I have not found a competitive leader material that offers knot strength (snelled Gamakatsu Octopus 5/0's-7/0's), abrasion resistance, and overall fishability then the Seaguar material.

Is there something out there that I am missing in regards to leader material? We normally run carolina rigs with 6'-20' of leader material. On occasion we will run knocker rigs but my preference is a slightly overweighted (to cast away from the boat and hold true on the bottom) carolina rig. Keep in mind that this is a slow line feed technique to let the bait drift with the current and cover ground. Water depths vary from 120'-240' and time of day is "all day and night."

I appreciate the feedback.
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.

Last edited by broach-man; 02-09-2014 at 12:35 AM.
broach-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
White Marlin

For the money and quality I also think the Seaguar is hard to beat. We use it almost exclusively when chumming snapper. The abrasion resistance is also a big benefit when grouper digging.
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
Snapper

oh yes.. the good ole debate of using just traditional leader or flourocarbon..

I have had plenty of experiences of using different leaders targeting all sorts of species of fish and locations..

Their are several variables to consider when coming to the conclusion of what leader works best, does work, or will significantly lessen your strikes..

Variables to consider..
Water clarity, species targeted, depth, bottom structure, aggressiveness of the fish, etc..

That being said..

I always like to start with my ideal and preferred rigging to increase strikes..
-which is.. a ligther leader using flourocarbon.. If you are having aggressive strikes and boating quality fish.. Then you just might have dialed in perfectly.. Likewise, if you getting strikes and losing fish to structure.. then by all means.. up your strength of leader and tighten the drag..
However, if your not getting any strikes.. you can be using to heavy of a leader, may not being using flourocarbon, water clarity might be very clear which would give you the impression to lighten up leader (flouro or regular)

Species of fish targeted play a huge role in picking your selection..
Example.. One time i was fishing a carolina rig with 20lb flouro.. my nephews were using 15lb flouro in the same spot.. We were dropping for juvinlie snappers in the bay at about 25ft.. just trying to bow up for some fun.. Needless to say.. I was outfished about 5 to 1 by my nephews and the only difference was in leader choice.. Seems insignificant but the slight difference in leaders made a huge difference..

At the same time.. if the bite is hot they may become less picky and bite all sorts of leaders..

My thoughts are this.. I would rather have more strikes and more opportunities.. Increasing your chances of boating quality of fish.. Opposed to having to high of a leader and have less strikes..

It is all learning curve and you will get it..

I do believe you can achieve great success not using flourocarbon leaders.. you just gotta lighten up the leader and see what works for you..

Hope this helps.. Reply back with more species specific and i can elaborate..
karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

And some homework for you guys that I would like to share... In most cases, I support the local vendors as much as possible since I am becoming a small business owner. However, due to my location, I need something that I can return easily if it is not used and also something I can get my hands on before the trip to the Keys...

Here is a spreadsheet I did on saving $$$ on fluoro. I ended up calling in the order with Bass Pro Shops, and having them match the Melton Tackle pricing. It should be self explanatory depending on how it comes through. AP Price references Amazon Prime...

It didn't go through so if you want the price list comparing AP; Tackle Direct, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Melton, and others i can email it to you...
Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

And my generalized question is: If you don't use Fluorocarbon for leader material, what works best for you?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

We haven't used fluoro for bottom fishing in years after doing side by side tests and noticing no difference in the bite on snapper, jacks, grouper; it doesn't matter. Good bait and good spot and you're good to go.
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
Mingo

I use Ande pink.
Split 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Captain Woody, care to divulge your preferred leader material if it is not fluoro?

Split 1, I am currently tying up chicken rigs in 30# Ande Pink for the YT's in case it is too rough for the deeper water...

Thanks guys...
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by broach-man View Post
Captain Woody, care to divulge your preferred leader material if it is not fluoro?

Split 1, I am currently tying up chicken rigs in 30# Ande Pink for the YT's in case it is too rough for the deeper water...

Thanks guys...
Jacks are the easiest thing in the world to catch, and I'm pretty sure they would eat a live bait off of 700# mono, so they dont count.

Usually just 100# mono for grouper and snappers though.

YT= yellow tails? Around here? I've only seen like two in my whole life up this way
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in