Boat equipment to be legal??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Mingo

Question Boat equipment to be legal???

I have a 25' Cuddy Cabin that I fish offshore only a few miles. What equipment do I need in my boat to be legal such as Whistle, Life Vest etc....?? If I get checked by the Coast Guard or FWP?? I normally never go more than 5 miles or so.
Any advice appreciated

1993 INVADER REEFRUNNER 244 TWIN SUZUKI 140's
fish2day is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Snapper

Flares (not out-of-date). An audible signal, i.e. horn or whistle. A life jacket for each person on board and not in a wrapper. If you have a radio, it must be on channel 16 while in motion. A throwable device is mandatory. This could be a cushion but better a life ring.

You know all this is good, but you need to ask yourself what do I need to be safe, for me and my passengers. An suitable anchor may be essential if your motor conks out. I carry a cell phone and an extra, hand held radio just in case. Get a free check from the Coast Guard auxiliary or Power Squadron.
Nitzey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

Doesn't matter how far out you go. Once you're thru the pass, you have to have life vests, Air-horn, horn or whistle, (they told me a whistle wasn't good enough, as he said "How can you blow it if your boat sunk"?), Flares, (up to date), throw life ring or square life cushion, oar paddle and anchor w/rope. Also running lights if after dark.
Oh, and fishing license if fishing or have rod & reels on board wether or not fishing.
There's also other Safety requirements if an inboard, but should already be equipped.
Have I left anything out?.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

A fire extinguisher is required in some boats. Good to have even if not required. Sea-r-cy
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

I think that you need a B-1 type fire extinguisher on that size boat. Just makes sense to have one in case of fire.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

Yup, that's what I forgot. It's required in ALL boats that is fuel (gas/diesel) powered.
Gotta be in date too.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
Mingo

[QUOTE=Five-0_Bulletproof;712876]Yup, that's what I forgot. It's required in ALL boats that is fuel (gas/diesel) powered.
Gotta be in date too.[/QUOTE

Thanks a million.....I have everything but the air horn and the Flares....Where is a good place to purchase??

1993 INVADER REEFRUNNER 244 TWIN SUZUKI 140's
fish2day is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

Sports Academy or Boaters World.
But I'd get 2 fire extinguishers and air-horns. Those small bottles don't last too long.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
Captain of the Boat
Snapper

Check on line at the Coast Gaurd website. Oar, on an offshore boar, is not in the regs. Can't blow my air horn on my Triton 24 LTS if it is sunk but yet it is a legal device. Boaters World? I thought that they all closed.

Mudigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #10
Grand Slam

Marine Radio Information for Boaters

We had a lot of response when we asked the question; "what courses would you like to see?" One suggestion was a course on radio procedure. While we have future plans for a course on radio licensing, we felt that some frequently asked questions about radios might be in order. Much of the information presented here is courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard and the FCC.

You have the option of selecting one of the questions below to go directly to that information or simply start with "Who needs a radio?" and scroll through the entire article.
Who needs a radio? (back to top)

Although recreational vessels less than 20m (65.6 feet) in length are not required to have VHF radios, before you purchase anything else, make sure you have a VHF marine radio. If you plan to travel more than a few miles offshore, you should strongly consider purchasing an HF or single side band radiotelephone or mobile satellite telephone, an emergency position indicating radio beacon, or EPIRB, and a second VHF radio or cellular telephone as well.
Mobile satellite telephones are becoming more common and more inexpensive. The mobile satellite will provide easier and clearer communications than the HF radiotelephone, but the HF radiotelephone will receive high seas marine weather warnings. Your radio is part of your life insurance policy that we talked about last week when we addressed EPIRB's.

Equipment and Lighting Requirements
  • The owner and/or operator of a vessel is responsible to carry, store, maintain and use the safety equipment required by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG).
  • All vessels are required to have onboard a wearable USCG-approved personal flotation device (PFD) for each person. The PFDs must be of the appropriate size for the intended wearer, be in serviceable condition, and within easy access. The State of Florida urges all people onboard a boat to wear a life jacket.
  • Vessels 16 feet in length or longer must also have at least one USCG-approved throwable Type IV PFD that is immediately available in case of a fall overboard.
  • A child under the age of 6 must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II or III personal flotation device while onboard a vessel under 26 feet in length while the vessel is under way. "Under way" is defined as anytime except when the vessel is anchored, moored, made fast to the shore or aground.
  • Vessels with built-in fuel tanks or enclosed compartments where gasoline fumes can accumulate are required to carry at least one fire extinguisher (depending upon vessel length) which is approved for marine use.
  • All vessels are required to carry an efficient sound-producing device, such as a referee's whistle.
  • Vessels less than 16 feet in length are required to carry at least 3 visual distress signals approved for nighttime use when on coastal waters from sunset to sunrise. Vessels 16 feet or longer must carry at least 3 daytime and three nighttime visual distress signals (or 3 combination daytime/nighttime signals) at all times when on coastal waters.
  • The use of sirens or flashing, occulting or revolving lights is prohibited except where expressly allowed by law.
  • Recreational vessels are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during periods of reduced visibility (fog, rain, haze, etc.). The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Rules specify lighting requirements for every description of watercraft. The information provided in the following link is for vessels less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length: http://boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-9_navlights.htm.

Last edited by lastcast; 08-12-2011 at 02:21 AM.
lastcast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in