Biiig fish story / Advice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Biiig fish story / Advice

Hi all. I am relatively new to the forum, but wanted to share a fish tale and ask for a lil advice. Had a successful AJ and Grouper trip this past weekend, but the highlight was hooking up with Nessy while jigging in about 220' depth. At first i was hoping it was a huge AJ, but when it became clear he was going to spool my fully loaded 8000 Tekota, we had to put it in gear and start following the fish. I quickly realized it was probably not a reef donkey as one would have tried to find the structure and not left town as this fish did. While it was certainly powerful and extremely heavy, this fish was not blinding fast which leads me to believe it was a big ole nasty shark. I've caught up to an 8' bull shark on this same combo and it didn't feel like half of the fish as this one!!! I'm fully convinced i never turned his head in the 1 1/2 hours and 1.1 miles we tracked on the GPS from the hookup spot. To make a long story short... easily his two most powerful runs were the last two before the drop hook string was cut. We never saw the fish and I'm certain this reel didn't have the drag to ever lift him or turn him. I was thinking he was foul-hooked because of the huge weight, but the cut drop hook string leads me to believe teeth cut it (????) Anyways... I was certainly exhausted and wish like hell i could have laid eyes on this guy.

My question is this... with 2 80W Internationals on the boat... does anyone have a good idea as to how to get a hook in the fish from a bigger reel? After telling the story to a friend he said to make about a 6" loop with heavy mono and attach a weight and big treble hook tied to the new big rod, loop it around the original line and drop it down until it gets to the fish then jerk till the treble sets... then you fight the fish with two rods.

My question is... anyone ever try this or anything similar when overmatched?

Thanks for reading this fish story... hopefully next time Nessy strikes i'll be able to post pics
Beer-a-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in