Anyone know how to keep squirrelfish alive? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Anyone know how to keep squirrelfish alive?

A lively squirrelfish has to be one of my favorite baits, but I have a heck of a time keeping them alive. My livewell is small, but I have an aerator and I cycle the water frequently. I have better success when I catch them in about 60 feet of water (haven't found many in shallower water than that), and I reel them up slowly but they still don't do well. When in deeper water or with bigger fish I'll even vent them and that seems to help but not enough. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping them alive? The smaller ones seem to live better than the bigger ones, but who wants to throw back a 12 inch squirrel and just keep the little ones? Catching them is kind of a slow process so if they aren't coming up two at a time it seems that at a certain point the ones on the well are dying at about the same rate as you are catching them. What is the shallowest water they are prevalent? Since they are coming up from colder water should I put a couple frozen water bottles in the well and not cycle the water. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Trophyhusband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to feelin' wright

I like to use frozen bottle on all live baits. The reason being is that you can have a higher concentration of dissolved O2 in cold water than you can in hot water. I have also had a hard time keeping squirrel fish alive so hopefully some one will chime in that is smarter than myself.
feelin' wright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Fabricator
Grouper

I was going to mention the same thing; with water temps in the high 80s to 90s, your bait cooks in the livewell. I usually just fill a ziplock with ice, and throw it in the livewell.
Starlifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Powerstroke Medic
Grand Slam

I always thought squirrel fish were those my son was after on the river banks, while his bobber was hung in the trees
[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-D...48503005194874
Spoolin Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in