anchoring on the tanks, and grouper help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default anchoring on the tanks, and grouper help

i have tried anchoring on the tanks many times and have always struggled doing so,such as it wont ever grab,i have anchored other places with little to no trouble is it harder to anchoronthe tanksor is it just me. Also we went outlast weekend and tried a few spots on, what i think is called"the hilton chart" and all we caught was one oversized red fish and red snapper and alot of them, are there certain kinds of structures to look for to catch grouper, maybe a certain bait all we used were frozen cigar minnows, or is it a distance thing this time of year with the water temp. any help would be much appreciated.

jason
woody1661 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default RE: anchoring on the tanks, and grouper help

Big live bait is necessary because the snapper have overrun the inshore spots and anything you drop will most likely be imhaled by a snapper before a grouper even gets a sniff.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Trigger

grouper prefer live bait like pin fish, or butterflied bait. you will find mostof themon rocks or live bottom

www.hotspotscharters.com
Wade Schepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Sailfish

Jason what size boat are you running? Tackle , what are you using? What kind of grouper are you after? you know scamp, gag ? Bigger the bait bigger the fish but you better have the gear to pull them out with.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Grouper

The OLE need some help. Not sure what the anchor problem is. Might have been a bad day to try an anchor. Might need some more chain. Is the tank the deepest water you 've tried to anchor in?? What kind of anchor are you using?? I have spent many of days sitting on the tanks off Alabama. They can be productive.

Now, Grouper is a story within itself!! Will have best luck in deeper water 120-400 ft. Many people catch them in the bay. Don't ask me bout the inside. On the outside, natural bottom will help. Big bait will help also. Dead or alive it don't matter. We catch more grouper on dead stuff than live. Different strokes for different folks. Some days livies work better than dead, trail and error. Gotta pump and wind on them though. I put mine in the rod holder and set it and forget it.
Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

the tanks sit in what 90 to 95ft of water i think the deepest would be close to that yeah maybe allittle deeper it just seems like our anchor never wants to grab there i dont know the answer to the anchor questions you have the anchor came with the boat we bought last summer and i am still pretty new to this whole thing and everytime i go down there i forget to look i will make it a priority next time to look and see what anchor we have. you say you put your rod in the holder while grouper fishing do you put out a rod just for grouper while you are say snapper fishing or are all of your rods baited for grouper. is it a good idea to fish for snapper while having a rod just for grouper.

thanks for the advice

jason
woody1661 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
woody1661 (4/15/2009)the tanks sit in what 90 to 95ft of water i think the deepest would be close to that yeah maybe allittle deeper it just seems like our anchor never wants to grab there i dont know the answer to the anchor questions you have the anchor came with the boat we bought last summer and i am still pretty new to this whole thing and everytime i go down there i forget to look i will make it a priority next time to look and see what anchor we have. you say you put your rod in the holder while grouper fishing do you put out a rod just for grouper while you are say snapper fishing or are all of your rods baited for grouper. is it a good idea to fish for snapper while having a rod just for grouper.

thanks for the advice

jason

The tanks are pretty much sitting in nothing but sand, if I recall...silty, soft sand. Gonna need a good bit of chain and obey the rode "laws"...ie 5 times or more length of rope as depth of water you're in. I'd pretty much overdo it on the chain, bigger links than you probably need and a little longer length than is called for and anchoring when not obeying the proper rode will be easier...and when in the sand. I ain't no pro, but these modifications have made it easier for me to anchor no matter where I go.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Grouper

The OLE need some help.

When we Grouper fish we Grouper fish. We will fish some chicken rigs from time to time while fishing for Grouper. We clear the pass with nothing but frozen squid for bait, and have had great success with squid as a start. I will not anchor unless bottom time is short(current/drift) I stay on the move!!! As mentioned before I set it and forget it. Anyone that has fished with me knows what I mean. I'm usually driving the boat and fishing, maybe thats why I set it and forget it. My fishing partner will hold his rod all day. My bait placement is different than his(water depth) but we both seem to have goodluck at pumpand winding on them. Different strokes for different folks. WE figure you will only catch 50% of the Grouper bites you will get. Its all over if they bite our hook though!!!!!!!!!!We do catch snapper and AJ while grouper fishing. Breaking the 30lb. mark on Red Snapper is coming, all in due time. We have won the grouper division 2 times in the ADSFR. 71st. & 72nd. annual. The 71st. was caught on my20ft. boat. The fish weighede 60.28lbs. Gag. Still the largest that has been weighed in since the 71st. ADSFR. The 72nd.won the grouper and beeliner division. Have not fished the ADSFR since the 72nd.We did fishthe 74th. i think it was. Sad cause we boated a 45lb. King and were not in the King jackpot(1500.00 fish)Will are going to get after them this year though. We usually stay out for two days during the ADSFR.OK enough of that.

Now for anchoring, it is all in the Chain. I have a 20 boat with 13 ft. of 3/8in. chain with 1,200ft. of rope.I usually achor with a 2to3 times ofrope as the water depth.The saleman tried to sell me the smaller chain, said it would be sufficiant for my boat. I said no thanks I WANT the larger chain. Rulke of thumb is that your chain should be the length of your vessel. Might neede to try and stay over the top of your anchor while the anchor is falling to the bottom. You must get all the chain on the bottom. Hope this helps you out. I will not back-a-way from the point of anchor deployment. Once my anchor hits the bottom I start throwing a bunch of rope in the water to allow the chain to fully rest on the bottom. Different strokes for different folks. This works great for me.
Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Praedator
Grand Slam

Chain, Chain and more Chain. And do not just through the anchor over and hope for the best. You need to keep a little tension on it as it goes down. Otherwise the chain can get wrapped up in the anchor causing it not to grab. I have 19 feet of 3/8 chain and an 8 lb anchorfor my 19 foot boat. Ever since I added that much chain, my anchor problems went away.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Grouper

What the heII is the OLE??????????????????

George
Speckulator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in