amberjacks - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Snapper

Default amberjacks

how does that work? is a lesser just an AJ that's smaller? must know this, it's killing me!!!! are they 2 different species?:banghead
NavySnooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: amberjacks

Quote:
NavySnooker (11/23/2008)how does that work? is a lesser just an AJ that's smaller? must know this, it's killing me!!!! are they 2 different species?:banghead
Yes, they are different. As far as I know we don't really have lesser AJ's up here. They look almost identical, but have a different number of gill rakes. All I ever catch is Greater Amberjack and Almaco Jack. If some of them happened to be lesser's I couldn't tell the difference.
P-cola_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Sailfish

They are definatly diffrent species like pcola native said the easiest way is the lesser has one more gill rake then the greater and they do look a little diffrent as for catching them in the northern gulf we have them they move in offshore in groves for a short while in the spring while most are chasing cobia they cover natural bottom areas .definalty not something to target .
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Sailfish

sorry for the poor quality, i stretched the pic to make it bigger to see & read, but it got blurry the bigger i made it..

reelfinatical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Snapper

thank you guys, appreciate it.:bowdown does anyone have any actual :takephoto to help me further understand these facts?
NavySnooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Praedator
Grand Slam

Here is a pic of a Greater and Almaco Jack I got one day over the summer. These are the two that you will catch in the gulf. I have never seen or heard of anyone catching a Lesser AJ in our area. Notice the longer swooping dorsal fin of the Almaco on the bottom. Smaller greater AJ's will look very similar to an Almaco except for the dorsal fin.

Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
Mingo

I appreciate the posts guys. I was curious about how to tell the difference.

Are the almacos unregulated, or would you use the regs for lesser AJ? I don't see anything about almacos in the regs, unless I am overlooking it.

Thanks!
Triple C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Triple C (11/24/2008)

Are the almacos unregulated, or would you use the regs for lesser AJ? I don't see anything about almacos in the regs, unless I am overlooking it.

Thanks!
Almaco jacks do not have a size or creel limit in state waters. They do fall under the 20 fish aggregate limit in federal waters. Here are the fish in that aggregate limit in federal waters.

Species included in the 20-fish aggregate bag limit

Almaco Jack
Gray Triggerfish
Vermilion Snapper
Lane Snapper
Tilefish
GoldfaceTilefish
Blueline Tilefish
Blackline Tilefish
Anchor Tilefish

20/per person of all
listed species in
aggregate
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Trigger

we havelots of lesser amberjacks in our area (Seriola fasciata). ID between the greater AJ (S. dumerili) and almaco (S. rivoliana) is not so tough (as pictured), but the greater and lesser is tough. for the most part, if its near or above the lower limit for greater, its most likely a greater. the lesser jacks in our area,are usually only a couple of pounds. in many cases they are more confused with bar jacks (Carangoides ruber)--when the bar jacks dont display all their stripes. catch a bar jack with no stripes, and most folks just say 'oh, he is just not showing his stipes'. this may be true, or it may in fact be a lesser amberjack. the lesser jack can even display 'faint' stripes as well, making it even more difficult to tell the bar and lesser apart.

i remember 'back in the day', catchinga dozen lesser jacks off the pier any given day. dont fish the pier but once or twice a year anymore, so i dont know if they show up there anymore or not.

still catch lesser jacks in weedlines from time to time. just looks like a bar jack, with out the bars. counting dorsalspines is the only other way to check the ID in the field. bar jack and lesser both have 9. greater has 8.

cheers.

drew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in