Alright you Pro's, I need some input.. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Roll Tider
White Marlin

Default Alright you Pro's, I need some input..

I've been a member of this forum for a long time.. And I have NEVER really been able to post an offshore report I've always been landlocked, and I call my boat, the pier on the beach and also wade fish inshore. But now, I'm wanting to start doing a lot of offshore fishing. The few times I have been able to go, have been a blast.

I'm going to try to go with one set up for bottom fishing/jigging to start off with. Is it possible to have one set up for both applications? Or do I need two set ups? One for jigging, and one for bottom fishing? Im mainly looking to fish for snapper, trigger, gag grouper and AJ's. I was thinking about getting one of those left hand Avet MX on something like a Trevala jigging rod.. I don't see myself going any deeper than 150-200' of water very often.

Just need some rod/reel reccomendations..

As you can tell, I'm pretty much a greenhorn when it comes to offshore fishing. I need your input and advice! All help is appreciated

Last edited by Austin; 05-10-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to asago Send a message via Yahoo to asago

I'm no pro but I use the Trevala rods w/ Torium reels for both jigging and live bait. I have heard the Toriums have some drag problems and I know they are on the low-end but so far they've worked for me and I haven't blown one up yet even with some pretty big AJ's.

georgiafishingbooks.com
panhandlefishingbooks.com

asago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Snapper

I use an Avet LX with a hopper jigging rod from Capt Harry spooled with braid and I jig and bottom fish with it. It handled this snapper with ease bottom fishing. You can see the set up to the right of my friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Alright you Pro's, I need some input..-snapp-jpg  
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Roll Tider
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island24 View Post
I use an Avet LX with a hopper jigging rod from Capt Harry spooled with braid and I jig and bottom fish with it. It handled this snapper with ease bottom fishing. You can see the set up to the right of my friend.
How do you like your Avet? Im leaning on going with the JX reel on a 250g range jigging rod. Holds 550 yards of 50lb. braid. 370yds of 65lb. Could go a size down to the MX. Not sure yet..

I know it would be best to go with two rods, one for jigging, one for bottom fishing, but Im stepping into the offshore game, and dont want to spent a ton of change on something im not sure how often I'll be able to do.

Last edited by Austin; 05-11-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Snapper

I really like the Avet - very smooth. I think you will love the set up for jigging and it is very light and you can live bait/bottom fish all day because the reel/rod combo is so light. The hopper/trevalls etc have as much power as traditional rods - again in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Grouper

My two cents -
The Avet MX with 65# or even #80 braid with 6' or 5'-6" & rod rated for 80 to 200 lb line would be a good all around combo -

If you are going to tangle with AJs on braid -
- don't bring a knife to a gun fight
Mullethead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Roll Tider
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullethead View Post
My two cents -
The Avet MX with 65# or even #80 braid with 6' or 5'-6" & rod rated for 80 to 200 lb line would be a good all around combo -

If you are going to tangle with AJs on braid -
- don't bring a knife to a gun fight

Are you sure about the MX? Line capacity would be super small with 80# braid on it, much less 65#
http://www.tackledirect.com/avet-mxl-reels.html

Was thinking more about one of these, what do yall think?
http://www.tackledirect.com/avet-jx-...ver-reels.html

Last edited by Austin; 05-11-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Austin, first I'm by far a pro, but I've caught plenty of fish. My go to rods for the type of fish your going after is Penn Slammer rods with 750's, 850's and Shamano TLD 20's. Are thier better, you bet. I got my spinner combo's for $139 and the TLD's for $189 about 8 yrs ago. Keep it simple and have some fun learning the teqnique's of the bite for the types of fish your targeting. If you can fish during the week shoot me a PM, we have an easy going crew and usually catch one or two. The more your out the more you'll learn, and hopefully never stop learning. My .02
lastcast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Go see Chris at HotSpots and get the Torium30 and a star stellar jigging rod, better than the shimano rods and have lifetime warranty. Tell him you want him to show you the action in the rod.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Grouper

pink snappercatcher is right. it sounds good in theory but it's a pain in the ass to retie the same rod with a bottom rig and then tie a jig on. if you have a rod rigged for live bait then one for jigging it makes you much more flexible in your fishing tactics. a 4 or 6/0 or a tyrnos or torium on a boat rod is fine for livebait. as far as jigging goes, it all depends on how much cash you have...good luck
bombtosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in