Alabama red snapper open Oct 1 ? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Alabama red snapper open Oct 1 ?

Is this true? Seems like a walk on private charter would be a good deal then,can catch a limit of snapper and grouper.I read they are around 250 out of destin,are they as good as private? I aint got private money but would pay 250 to catch both
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Deep Jigger
Ruby Red Lip

Florida state waters opens Oct 1, all federal waters still in limbo. No Alabama State water season, which with only 3 miles of states waters, opening would be a pretty much a waste anyway. Snappers are everywhere, all the public reefs are full.
It's hard to believe that powers to be are that plain stupid. Forest Gump would have been able to do better than this and Forest said "I'm not a smart man".
It's just sad!!
321953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321953 View Post
Florida state waters opens Oct 1, all federal waters still in limbo. No Alabama State water season, which with only 3 miles of states waters, opening would be a pretty much a waste anyway. Snappers are everywhere, all the public reefs are full.
It's hard to believe that powers to be are that plain stupid. Forest Gump would have been able to do better than this and Forest said "I'm not a smart man".
It's just sad!!
Thnx!....I don't guess I will ever go off shore again...haven't been in years...last time was before all this season garbage started. Years ago it was sorta "worth it" when you could catch grouper and snappers.Boat rides are fun,but they aint worth that much for a few fish. Will stick to the bay. I bet this has hurt the charter folks but then again I guess lots of folks don't keep em or just want a couple.Don't work for me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Sailfish

Can you catch red snapper off Bama(state water) all year or just when the Fed season is in? I looked for the rules but didnt see anything about a state season
Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott44 View Post
Can you catch red snapper off Bama(state water) all year or just when the Fed season is in? I looked for the rules but didnt see anything about a state season
There is no state season in Alabama. So just when federal is in. However, there are only a total of about 2 legal sized snapper inside of 3 miles in AL. It doesn't drop off as quick as it goes in FL, and they have out to 9 miles.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAlabamaSlayer View Post
There is no state season in Alabama. So just when federal is in. However, there are only a total of about 2 legal sized snapper inside of 3 miles in AL. It doesn't drop off as quick as it goes in FL, and they have out to 9 miles.
Gotcha!...thnx a bunch
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Deep Jigger
Ruby Red Lip

If you fish only for snapper I agree IT just ain't worth it, however made a trip with 6 on Saturday...caught a limit of big beeliners, triggers, white and red bone porgys, amberjack and king mackral. Plenty of fish and a lot of fun...I think my charter thought it was worth it.
Oh, almost forgot we released about 20 nice ARS.
321953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321953 View Post
If you fish only for snapper I agree IT just ain't worth it, however made a trip with 6 on Saturday...caught a limit of big beeliners, triggers, white and red bone porgys, amberjack and king mackral. Plenty of fish and a lot of fun...I think my charter thought it was worth it.
Oh, almost forgot we released about 20 nice ARS.
Snappers aren't really the important thing to me....I love groupers though.All I'm interested in is groupers and then good eating fish. Back when I used to charter a boat with friends every year...It was snapper,grouper and few others(triggerfish,b liners etc).I will probably go out before grouper season closes,didnt think about all that other stuff Will be moved to baldwin co in 2 weeks so it ain't like I gotta take a vacation too.That will give me some fish to eat while I learn how to catch bay fish
Old 09-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott44 View Post
Snappers aren't really the important thing to me....I love groupers though.All I'm interested in is groupers and then good eating fish. Back when I used to charter a boat with friends every year...It was snapper,grouper and few others(triggerfish,b liners etc).I will probably go out before grouper season closes,didnt think about all that other stuff Will be moved to baldwin co in 2 weeks so it ain't like I gotta take a vacation too.That will give me some fish to eat while I learn how to catch bay fish
A lot of walk on charters don't target groupers. You would probably have to charter a whole boat in order to go after them, meaning you need to get some friends to help pay for the trip.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Brandon H
Mingo

anyone heard OCt 1-14th for AL just saw it on a AL charter boats page.......?????
2002 38 Rampage SOLD!!!!
Waste-N-Away is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in