AJ's - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default AJ's

What is the best lure for aj's ? Is it the long lead one with two hooks on top or the one with a treble hook on the bottem. ???
njmad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: AJ's

Almost anything will work for AJs. You can use daimond jigs, butterfly jigs -(expensive though), bucktails, lasertails, etc. What depth are you going to be fishing for them? The easiest thing to use is probably a Williamson Benthos or Abyss. It already comes rigged with an assist hook so all you have to do is tie it on.

The ones you mentioned sound like a diamond jig (treble hook on the bottom) or a vertical jig (with the two hooks on top). Either will work fine. The only thing is, sometimes the treble is a little weak on diamond jigs and you have to swap it out with a stronger one.
First Catch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
White Marlin

https://pensacolafishingforum.com/fis...ight=amberjack

this is just one topic. do a search and you should find more than enough to catch an aj
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

if you are wanting to consistently catch amberjack, and big ones at at that (45# and on up) use live bait. jigs are ok, and sometimes can get a school fired up again that has smartened up to livies, but they will pretty much get outfished to someone who is using a big lively bonita or hardtail or even pinfish and LYs any day. 10 foot of 100# leader, doesnt need to be flouro, to a 3 way swivel. use enough weight to get your bait down; i usually use anywhere from 12-36 ounces of lead on a little 12 inch piece of mono to that 3 way swivel. circle hook matched to the size of your bait. drop down to where you are marking fish on your bottom finder and just start windin as soon as that rod doubles over. it's just that easy. oh and fish vertical structure (rigs, rig legs, wrecks with either a tower (such as oriskany) or some kind of vertical relief (line with a float 30' up, etc.)

oh and also, as soon as you get a fish to the boat, immediately get another live bait down. the amberjack bite can shut off just as quickly as it turns on, especially once the AJs stop getting consistently bombed with livies from above. if your boat allows it, try to keep a variety of live baits in the livewell. pinfish, hardtails, small bonitas, LYs, mullet. not sure what the laws are on possessing small mingoes and triggers and whatnot but they work great too :shedevil
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Mingo

I've had probably the best luck with all white bucktails. Won't get as big ones as with live bait, but as far as jigging I've caught consistently bigger ajs on white bucktails (6oz) than vertical jigs. Cost less than half the price too.
FishingAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
FishingAddict (2/9/2009)I've had probably the best luck with all white bucktails. Won't get as big ones as with live bait, but as far as jigging I've caught consistently bigger ajs on white bucktails (6oz) than vertical jigs. Cost less than half the price too.
I agree. I caught adecent 30lb jackon a big bucktail yesterday. They work
Private Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
Sailfish

Well, since the rest of the crew has replied...

I agree with everything stated above :letsdrink
true-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in