Advise on Epirb - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Advise on Epirb

I've just recently got into offshore fishing. Meaning I bought my boat in March of this year. It's a 2003 21ft Palm Beach CC with a VD Yammy 150 2strk. I have been out 23mi from OB AL so far, but wanna get out to the Edge for some bigger fish. A friend of mine suggested an Epirb, so my question is.. Best price? online or in a store? Used or new? Any and all advise will help.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Grand Slam

New and costs about $400. There are cheaper ways to go. Pm Litecatch if he doesn't see this. He can answer all your questions.
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Snapper

Do some research so you can get what you are most comfortable with. EPRIB's vary in the way they are activated and possibly the transmission time/frequency. The new ones may all be 406 models now. I haven't checked lately. You ought to look at a Spot and the other devices that are "Spot-like". These are about $100 to buy and $100 per year, West Marine had a deal going with Spot and TowBoat US awhile back.

PM me if you want
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Snapper

This has been debate on various forums ad nauseum. I'm not here to bash spot. It would be useful in some situation but does not replace an EPIRB.

Paragraph from West Marine: "SPOT has created a popular niche with its added communication features and lower initial cost. We still do not believe that SPOT should replace an EPIRB or PLB, with their automatic global links to government-run satellite rescue systems, and most of the outdoor and boating safety experts agree with us. The COSPAS/SARSAT system is a result of international cooperation with an established network of satellites, ground stations, rescue agencies, etc. The system works, and has been proven during countless rescues."

Funny, many boaters spend more on beer than on lifesaving equipment. I have personally been launched into a hurricane in the middle of the night to search for a fishing vessel who's EPIRB had been activated. We were able to home directly to the signal and locate (with the help of night vision goggles) and rescue the crew. The boat had sunk and they were floating huddled together holding that 406 epirb. Needle in a haystack? Absolutely. But 406 EPIRB can take the search out of search and rescue.
whalerjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Snapper

No disagreement whaler, I have both. Picked up the Spot to fill that gap between broken down and needing a tow and needing rescued because something bad happened. I fish far enough offshore that getting heard on VHF is not a certainty. I also like the fact I can send a message home saying we are all doing fine while on an overnight trip. Folks at home appreciate it.

Didn't mean to imply Spot would replace EPRIB. You are right about priorities 1 trip with gas, ice, food and bait costs as much as an EPRIB. A decent restaurant meal for 3-4 costs as much as Spot.

I like to have multiple options for getting help. Hopefully I will never use any of them.
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Snapper

No harm, Contender. I was not Aiming my pts to anyone in particular. Yes, the fact that you can actually send a message on spot is awesome. Spots have also saved lives. But I like your approach. Both can be useful. Cheers
whalerjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Make it a Grady Day.
White Marlin

DSC radios (most vhf have this capability) and the ability to intearact w/ the Rescue 21 system via the MMSI function on your radio.
I have an ACR Globalfix type 1 Automatically deployable. NOAA maintains the SAR database. Initial costs have come down over time, but as mentioned above, all 406 MHz now. Battery replacement every 5 years; hydrostatic release every 2 years, and test monthly.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Hey guys Thanks so much for all the imput!! Wow... Well I will keep up my reasearch and eventually get one for sure. I am a very cautious Cpt.. plus i don't wanna put myself or my crew in a situation where livesaving measures are needed. I have looked at the 406 CAT2 with the GPS. Sofar it's looking like 4 to 600$ is my range. I have seen alot in that range. Now to find the best deal.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Mingo

We bought an ACR brand epirb for added peace of mind. We bought it at George's Marine Electronics in Pensacola. His prices are not much more than the Internet and your supporting a local small business. We bought an aqua link 406, very portable and we take it out and make it easily accessible just in case. Make sure you check the battery date first on whatever you buy as the batteries are rated for a certain number of years so buy the newest dated one in stock when you get it.

23' Contender-- sold
24' Shamrock-- sold
30' Rampage Express -- Bikini Bottom-- sold
13' Boston Whaler Super Sport-- Bait Boat--sold
255 Everglades
Bikini Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
White Marlin

http://www.boemarine.com/ Jim the owner, is on the hull truth also. I have bought 2 epirbs and a few other things from him. He will talk to you on the phone giving you the pros and cons of all of them and has the best prices on the net.... Stand up guy..
whome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in