Advice Needed - Snapper in FL State Waters Question... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Advice Needed - Snapper in FL State Waters Question...

Looking for advice/knowledge here. I fish out of Romar Harbor Marina in Orange Beach. Once the federal snapper season ends, if I have a FL fishing license, can I catch snapper in FL State waters and return to AL with them in my possession?
gtchris19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
White Marlin

Negative, those Fl license are useless in Al. Whatever states regs you are following is where the fish have to be landed.

Last edited by Five Prongs Of Fury; 06-13-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Topwater Addict
Snapper

Yes you can. You may want to call an Alabama wildlife office to see how they prefer you handle it.
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfh21 View Post
Yes you can. You may want to call an Alabama wildlife office to see how they prefer you handle it.
No you can't. You will be ticketed with red snapper in federal or alabama waters after the Fed season ends. Period.
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Topwater Addict
Snapper

Explain to me why a single person would purchase an out of state license in the state of Florida to fish then. I haven't dealt with this on snapper in the Alabama/Florida stuff but I know for a fact friends in Mississippi who ran to Louisiana waters and caught snapper on weekends before June 1st when Mississippi or Federal seasons were closed. They were stopped and allowed to proceed. We also go to Louisiana to catch trout, there limit is 25 and Mississippi is 15. Never an issue. As long as you hold a license in that state and the one you are in, it isn't an issue if it's reasonable that you were previously fishing in the other state waters.

I will add the disclaimer that the DMR in Mississippi says the feds will write you a ticket in federal waters and to run straight in upon leaving Florida waters. If you are bottom fishing in Alabama waters with snapper in the box out of season good luck proving where they came from.

Last edited by rfh21; 06-13-2013 at 09:54 AM.
rfh21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Prongs Of Fury View Post
Negative, those Fl license are useless in Al. Whatever states regs you are following is where the fish have to be landed.
Five Prongs of Fury is correct, where you recover your baot at, and where you are currently at when the Man check your boat. I ask a FWC officer that same question, I have alabama license and he was checking my boat at the 3MB and I told him what if I had a 36" redfish bull in my cooler that I caught in alabama waters, he said then you will get a florida ticket, you are not in alabama waters any more and that fish should have been removed off you boat before you came into florida water.
Moral of the story is launch at florida boat ramp recover your boat at Florida boat ramp and you will be good to go. Other wise you will be ticketed.
Lexcore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Topwater Addict
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexcore View Post
Five Prongs of Fury is correct, where you recover your baot at, and where you are currently at when the Man check your boat. I ask a FWC officer that same question, I have alabama license and he was checking my boat at the 3MB and I told him what if I had a 36" redfish bull in my cooler that I caught in alabama waters, he said then you will get a florida ticket, you are not in alabama waters any more and that fish should have been removed off you boat before you came into florida water.
Moral of the story is launch at florida boat ramp recover your boat at Florida boat ramp and you will be good to go. Other wise you will be ticketed.
This is true, you can't fish in a state with an illegal fish for that state because there is no way to prove where you caught it. You can however transport that fish across state lines if you don't resume fishing. I'm not recommending it but I'm saying it's legal. As I stated this goes on regularly with Mississippi and Louisiana with both speckled trout and snapper.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Topwater Addict
Snapper

Alabama DMR says if you hold both licenses you are within the law. They are gonna have an enforcement officer call me to follow up and get a for sure answer.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Topwater Addict
Snapper

Full answer is in. During the time that Alabama snapper season is closed and Florida season is still open you may catch snapper in Florida and transport them back into Alabama.

Here are the exact details. You must possess both Florida and Alabama licenses and you must be transporting the fish only. You may not stop and fish anymore within Alabama waters while in possession of those Florida snappers.

The officer also told me that you need to make sure that when you are running back in that you do not cross into Federal waters at all. So you run out your 8-9 miles into Florida waters and catch your fish. Then would need to run back within the 3 nautical mile limit that is Alabama state waters before crossing over the state line. He also informed me that officers will sit at the state line, 3 miles offshore and watch where you are coming from during that period of time. If you aren't coming from Florida they will ticket you.

So it can be done but must be done carefully. Key fact is do not stop and fish more in Alabama waters once you have caught Florida snapper. Transport them only.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfh21 View Post
This is true, you can't fish in a state with an illegal fish for that state because there is no way to prove where you caught it. You can however transport that fish across state lines if you don't resume fishing. I'm not recommending it but I'm saying it's legal. As I stated this goes on regularly with Mississippi and Louisiana with both speckled trout and snapper.
Your state is correct and true rfh21, this is just me, I would recover in the state I caught the fish and lauch in the other other state and I will leave the fish in my cooler in my car (with note on it. ) just kidding with the note but if you get stopped by the man how can he tell where you caught it if you will not fish any more, unless he follows you to the dock. If you have licenses for both states who to say you caught it in one place but you did not. So launch and recover in the state you fished and caught the fish and all is good.
Lexcore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in