Advice for a Beginner - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Advice for a Beginner

Hello everyone! First I would like to say that I am stationed in Cheyenne, Wyoming (F.E Warren AFB). so your information and reports are my only connection to saltwater fishing. I have gleened some valuable info from all of your experience however, I am need of some help if anyone is willing. I am going to be visiting Destin with my wife and brother (stationed at Fort Benning) June 17th. We wanted to do an offshore charter but it was a little out of our price range. So instead we are renting a 21 foot century for 8 hours (a little cheaper than a charter). We aren't looking for giant fish but more so numbers. We would like to be catching stuff all day. Now the issue is that we are a little unsure of where to go. I have looked at the list of coords that Half Hitch has but there are a lot to choose from. Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of locations. Like I said we have one day for 8 hours and we are obviously beginners. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
tailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Tailwalker

Shoot me an e-mail, [email protected] and I will steer ya in the right direction. I'm stationed at Hurlburt Field here in Florida and fish out of Destin and P'cola a lot. Your coming at a great time of year and if the weather cooperates you will be able to hit some of the inshore wrecks and reefs (6-10 mile range)
Bowbender45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

I would suggest you won't catch crap on your own. You can rent a boat, does it come with rods and reels? Tackle? Chartplotter? Fishfinder? GPS Numbers for fishing spots?

I suggest a walk on day long charter. I'd bet it's cheaper, and you are all but guaranteed to catch fish.

No worries about bait, ice, rods, reels, tackle, hooks, sinkers, etc.

You're on vacation... relax, show up on time(hungover is okay and entertaining), catch fish then tip the mate $10 each to clean your fish while you drink beer you stored in the rental car and trade fishing stories.

Jim
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Trigger

Default Reconsider...........

You're gonna need tackle, gps, bottom machine, and the knowledge to use them... difficult for a one-day trip....... Plus, a knowledge of these seas, safety and weather conditions is imperative.

A head boat ...about $50 each will put you on fish....Sweet Jody and plenty others.....

A half day trip on a charter along with three others will also put you on fish for maybe $150 each......

Also try the 'Need a Ride' thread at the bottom of this site....Often locals will take visitors out and expect nothing but a fuel contribution....
redfish99999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Trigger

If you want to catch fish, a head boat is pretty hard to beat for the money. If you just want to enjoy a day on the water and catch a fish or two, go with the rental and just troll around. Either way, your not in Wyoming.
romadfishrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in