4 questions from an offshore nub - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Snapper

Default 4 questions from an offshore nub

I have been flats fishing and inshore fishing for years but recently picked up a Proline 251wa. I've started trying my hand at offshore fishing but have not done very well yet. Learning how and where to troll and how/where to bottom fish. It's a COMPLETELY different world offshore for me. Any tips and tricks will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

I think I know where you are speaking about when you say the "edge" but I am ot 100% sure. I know where the nipple is at, but where exactly is the edge?

Question 2: what is the definition of Blue Water fishing?

Question 3: Where are the closest oil rig platforms from Penscacola pass? I thougt I was heading to one this past weekend as it was marked on my chart as a well head, but when I got there it was apparently just a capped off well head somewhere below.

Question 4: when you get over a structure in 100ft+ of water, I am assuming you do not anchor, what do you do to fish the structure? Keep motor on on try to stay over it or just setup a drift pattern to keep going over it?
panhandlephinsphan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

1. The spot where we usually fish the edge is about 25 miles southeast, but it is a very large area, so there may be some good spots closer.

2. No idea what is actually considered blue water fishing, but I consider it as any fishing for the big pelagic species (wahoo, tuna, marlin, etc) in blue water.

3. I have no idea, our boat won't go out that far, but probably over 50 miles to the southwest.

4. Get more rope and chain, or the cheaper option would be to just drift.
No Excuses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
31' Ocean Master CC
Ruby Red Lip

I anchor over structure. I use a 3 to 1 rope to depth ration and I check current and drop anchor up-current and tie off when i pick up the structure on my sonar. FYI a great place to find fish is wrecks and a lot of scuba sites list wrecks with there descriptions and the fish they hold check out divespots.com for starters. Good luck and tight lines!
fivestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
31' Ocean Master CC
Ruby Red Lip

Also FYI the closest rig from pensacola is Petronius I believe, every time I have gone the tuna bit has been great, not a lot of monsters but good steady fishing and its about 62 miles if I remember correctly.
fivestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Snapper

Thank you very much for the feedback. I appreciate it and will put it to use.

Pan
panhandlephinsphan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Grouper

The "Edge" is also refered to by old timers as the 29 edge meaning it's the frist Natural Shelf of the contenental ledge. it's called 29 edge because it's typically 29 fathoms deep (29 x 6) is 174 feet deep to say 210-220 on the bottom side. it's mostly limestone rock and you can hit it almost anywhere heading away from land but it's much closer to the SE from Pensacola. there is one place that it runs North/South for a ways just about the AL/FL line so once you get west it's much farther. the next "edge" is the 100 fathom curve and that getting to were the big boys play.

Bluewater fishing typically refers to the type of fish you're targeting but they're most often found in or near cobalt "blue" water. the farther out you go, the more likely you are to find it but it's a moving target. The hardcore BW fishermen use different satellite images to help locate the change in water... Species targeted in Blluewater are Marlin of various species, Tuna of various species, Dolphin (No not Flipper) and wahoo. as well as, swordfish at night (and even in the day if you're apt to drop 1500-2000 feet deep)

Anchoring is much easier than many make it but it does require a GOOD chain, and a GOOD anchor not to mention a SUBSTANTIAL anchor retrieval system. Others like holding up (keeping the motors bumping in and out of gear) there's no real "right" answer though everyone has their opinions. personally, I can anchor in up to 270 feet with no trouble.

Oil rigs: the Nearest "Bluewater" (meaning deep rig where one could reasonable expect to find tuna, wahoo and the likes) is the Petronious. It's roughly 70NM from Pensacola. there are several rigs closer but you'd be MUCH less likely to find "Bluewater" fish...though you could..it's not inconcievable. some are on the charts but when you pull up you don't see them...you're right, they're either capped, or cut down and abandoned. DON"T overlook them...they quite often hold GOOD fish...Grouper, snapper, Mingos Amberjack and Cobia...not to mention an occasional Blackfin Tuna or Dolphin.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in