200 optimax vs. 200 yamaha 4 stroke - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

Default 200 optimax vs. 200 yamaha 4 stroke

I'm gonna hafta repower my 23' key largo and was gonna see if anyone had an opinion on the subject. From the research I've done and people I've talked to the yamaha is the way to go but I've always fished mercs on all my boats so I'm kinda stuck on what to buy, any advice would be appreciated.
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrick View Post
I'm gonna hafta repower my 23' key largo and was gonna see if anyone had an opinion on the subject. From the research I've done and people I've talked to the yamaha is the way to go but I've always fished mercs on all my boats so I'm kinda stuck on what to buy, any advice would be appreciated.
YAMAHA!!!! IF you have any problems with it...go see kenny mann at emerald coast marine...good guy and great service and will shoot you straight
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Mingo

+1 on Emerald Coast, Kenny, & Yamaha! Been fishing Yamaha since the 80's and couldn't ask for better motors, reliability or service.
snagem 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Grouper

Skip them both and get a 200 suzuki. quieter, cleaner and don't require high test.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

If you have had Mercurys and had success why change. Stick with Mercury. Kenny Mann can still work on Mercurys and i think has one of the better techs around town for Mercury. I would say go with Mercury, then you dont have to change controls, gauges, ect...
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Mines Bigger
White Marlin

well I'm planning on replacing the steering cable anyway, and my gauges don't work either. Had planned on buying the HDS5 unit and it has a built in dash feature that I can hook up a tach and speed to the unit. Since it's a bigger boat I'm not as worried about weight, so the 4stroke seems to be the better way to go. Also yamaha has a 6 year warranty rite now and mercs just went back down to 3. Lots of advantaged and disadvantaged to both I guess but from experience I know that having a saltwater boat without a warranty is just asking for trouble.
bigrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Grouper

Default Motor

Yams or ukies are the only way to go
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Mingo

I will advise against the Zuk!! The motor is fine, but if something goes wrong, Suzuki is a horrible company to deal with!! DO NOT BUY a Suzuki. I will never buy another one!
reeldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
Mingo

Default Merc vs. Yamaha

I have had both so I will give my .01 worth on the matter. I had a 2004 Mercury 225 Optimax and I now have a 2008 Yamaha 225 4-stroke. The only thing I like better about the Yamaha is you don't have to fool with the oil. Everything else I like better about the Mercury. Everybody will tell you that 4 strokes are so much quieter than Mercurys but they are comparing them to old Mercurys. The 4 stroke is quieter at idle but they are about the same once you are up and running. The Optimax got a lot better fuel mileage also. I am not impressed with the 4 stroke's mileage. The work that Yamaha requires that you do to keep up your warranty is very expensive also. I know some people do it themselves but I like to let Kenny Mann take care of my service so it is on record with Yamaha that is was done.
I ran Mercurys for the last 22 years and never had a problem with them. I have had a Yamaha for the last 1 1/2 years and have been to the shop more times than the 22 previous years. I spent at least $500 in gas carrying my boat back and forth to the shop. When I repower in a few years I will most likely go back to a Mercury.
FISHUNT7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
Snapper

I have over 500 hours on a pair of 2004 yahmaha four strokes. Love em.
Island24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in