2 questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
AAR
Snapper

Default 2 questions

I'm trying to decide if myself and a buddy of mine could safely go offshore 7 miles to the Culverts this weekend in my 14' McKee Craft CC with 50 HP Yamaha? I've had it in the Gulf before on nice days and there's nothing to it but I've never gone more than maybe 2 or 3 miles from shore - and that was on really calm conditions.

2nd question, I only moved to Florida in December but I already had a non-resident 1 year saltwater fishing license purchased 10/17/10 ($51 with convenience fee). Is there any way that the FWP would give me a hard time for being a resident now but in possession and fishing with a non-resident license? I figure, heck I just paid more but the last thing I want to do is wind up in court over something boneheaded like that.

Thanks!
AAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

It is entirely doable in that boat but you better pray for no wind all day because if you get caught in a storm it could get hairy, but after saying that I went to the 7 mile reef out of Marathon with 3 people and full dive gear in my 14" aluminum Lowe Big Jon. Halls dive boat pulled up beside us and told us we were crazy, and I said yes and so what. Check the forcast and watch the skies for pop up thunder storms which are possible with this heat at any time on any day.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Sailfish

I've seen Jon Boats out at the Oriskany.

It all depends on the sea conditions and how bad you want to get out there. I know that McKee Craft is unsinkable.

As for the fishing license. You shouldn't worry about that. As long as you have one, you will be fine.

Make sure you have all your safety gear.
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR View Post
I'm trying to decide if myself and a buddy of mine could safely go offshore 7 miles to the Culverts this weekend in my 14' McKee Craft CC with 50 HP Yamaha? I've had it in the Gulf before on nice days and there's nothing to it but I've never gone more than maybe 2 or 3 miles from shore - and that was on really calm conditions.

2nd question, I only moved to Florida in December but I already had a non-resident 1 year saltwater fishing license purchased 10/17/10 ($51 with convenience fee). Is there any way that the FWP would give me a hard time for being a resident now but in possession and fishing with a non-resident license? I figure, heck I just paid more but the last thing I want to do is wind up in court over something boneheaded like that.

Thanks!
What kind of safety equipment do you have?

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
AAR
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthehorn View Post
What kind of safety equipment do you have?
All coast guard required safety equipment. Life vests, air horn, flares, fire extinguisher, etc.

I have a Garmin 541s GPS to guide me. I also have the boat painted red & white to fend off auburn fans like you. jk
Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR View Post
All coast guard required safety equipment. Life vests, air horn, flares, fire extinguisher, etc.

I have a Garmin 541s GPS to guide me. I also have the boat painted red & white to fend off auburn fans like you. jk
Haha!

Joking/ribbing aside, my real advice is to check the weather up until the minute you leave and double check your gas level. I took my Cape Horn 19 out on the bay yesterday and by 6 pm it was getting choppy after a smooth ride out. Things can change pretty quickly. Have fun and be safe.

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
AAR
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthehorn View Post
Haha!

Joking/ribbing aside, my real advice is to check the weather up until the minute you leave and double check your gas level. I took my Cape Horn 19 out on the bay yesterday and by 6 pm it was getting choppy after a smooth ride out. Things can change pretty quickly. Have fun and be safe.
Thanks man, glad you could see I was kidding!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Trigger

As far as the fishing license:

Is your boat registered in Florida?

Do you have a Florida driver's license?

Are you military on active duty?

If military active, are you stationed here or on leave here?

Answers could make a big difference concerning the license.
whyworry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

Default Free fishing weekend

I believe this is a free weekend to fish saltwater. Sea-r-cy
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

Oh yeah, you can do it. I used to go out to the 3 barges and Russian Freighter with a 14' collins craft w/35hp tiller handle. Just be conscious of the weather. When the white caps start, it's time to head in. Carry a 5-gal bucket for bailing, when the white caps start coming over the sides. A bilge works, but not fast enough. Trust me, that far out, you want the water out fast. Don't take many incoming waves to swamp you. Or, just pull the plug and keep going.
Also, if the Pass is rough, stick to the Ft. Pickens beach side (east) to come in. I usually had to ride the beach line in. It was fun back in the day. Probably still is.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in