Wide boat, removable lights? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Wide boat, removable lights?

Have a 84" wide fiberglass skiff that I want to use for flounder gigging along with other fishing.

The question is anyone have/know how (pics needed) to do a removable light set up that is easy on/off but reliable.

Water color here can run from clear to dirty depending on where and tides.

It seems that I either build a custom underwater LED setup due to width or 2 150 HPS on front and 2 on sides on some type removable bracket system.

I do not have any front rails and do not want permanent light brackets sticking up while trying to fish. Have a front mounted trolling motor that is 24v.

looking for any suggestions and pics.

Do not mind spending the money IF it works. Tried a ultimate lights 4 light under water LED setup and just to narrow light beams for that wide boat and might have to run another on other side but like the idea of no lights in the water that I have to constantly adjust up or down.

Last edited by Bountyhunter; 01-17-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #2
White Marlin

Super easy.

Get a submersible light bar, specifically make for flounder gigging, it will usually come with 2 90 rubber boots.

Make a rectangle out of PVC (one of the longer sides will be the light bar)

Rig the other long side with U-Straps or zip ties, or something that allows it to pivot.

Get a float, a couple pool noodles, or a large flat peice of Styrofoam works better, and attach it to the light bar.

You now have a self leveling light bar setup, which can be flipped into the boat for transport, and the float will block and light trying to blind you.
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
White Marlin

Something like this........

The front floats, the back pivots.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
Grouper

Are you planning to use your trolling motor when floundering or will you be poling your boat ?
bowdiddly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I can do either or as it is removable. But want to try to use the trolling motor.

I am not sure one 48" LED light bar (that is the biggest I have seen) is going to cover 84" is it?

They might work great on narrow boats but really have my doubts on wider ones that is why I am not sure going that way will work. Looks like I would have to special order three 24" ones hooked in series to make it work, plus 2 for sides. That is one expensive setup but might have to do it.

I really like the idea of the lights out of the water, but not sure I can make it removable easily AND sturdy. Seems that might be a challenge.

To compound it, right front deck has anchor locker hatch and not much room except on corner. Deck is flush. I can put one mounting plate on each corner or pop up cleat for system like below. That is why I would love to see a video of a COB system gigging.

this is an 8 15Watt COB setup that mounts to deck cleats and is removable. Anyone have experience with these lights and can share a video of what they look like on the water? Not my boat, but the setup look pretty easy to make I was thinking a couple pop up cleats would work and keep the deck clear when not gigging
Attached Thumbnails
Wide boat, removable lights?-8_cob_setup_-_2-600x262-jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Bountyhunter; 01-26-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
White Marlin

Can we get a pic from above? It's hard to see where exactly your cleats or any possible mounts are
Old 01-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Sailfish

Here's how I did mine loosen one bolt and the whole light slides out and you have very little left on the boat. Wide boat, removable lights?-boat-jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Wide boat, removable lights?-img_0562-jpg   Wide boat, removable lights?-img_0581-jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKlamerus View Post
Super easy.

Get a submersible light bar, specifically make for flounder gigging, it will usually come with 2 90 rubber boots.

Make a rectangle out of PVC (one of the longer sides will be the light bar)

Rig the other long side with U-Straps or zip ties, or something that allows it to pivot.

Get a float, a couple pool noodles, or a large flat peice of Styrofoam works better, and attach it to the light bar.

You now have a self leveling light bar setup, which can be flipped into the boat for transport, and the float will block and light trying to blind you.
You pretty much just described my light. Mine has three light bars and floats on pool noodle while sliding up and down in PVC mounts. The whole thing is held on the boat with two big C-clamps.
mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
Trigger

To be honest flounder gigging on a 7 foot wide boat sounds like a huge pain in the ass.
mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #10
Trigger

I'm going to try to gig out of a kayak one day very soon, Nice boat man and if you know of anyone wanting to buy a sailboat let me know. later,, deadeye
deadeyedave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in