what color lights. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flounder9.75

Old 02-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default what color lights.

I am going to give floundering a go and am looking to mount a few lights on my boat to see how it goes. Trying to keep it cheap since it is just a pilot.
Planning on using cheap china LED lights.
I know the color of the light makes a difference on one of the other threads someone said warm white with the lowest temp possible. It got me wondering, would yellow or green lights be better?

I've always heard green light traveled farthest under water. I am color blind so the color does not matter too much to me, but I know that some things show up better under certain colors. It even crossed my mind would you want to mix a few different color lights?

I have about $30 worth of the 10w round single LED pool lights as they call them on ebay. They have a very wide degree like 120 flood pattern and are fairly low lumens like 850. They are not particularly fancy lights but it seemed like the best balance of what I would need for a small investment.

I have 6 of them on order to spread around the bow. I would think it should be fairly bright, but I see some folks running the 150 white HPS, I know that is going to give a tremendous amount of light.
Any help is appreciated.
mrlullabye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 01:00 AM   #2
Cigar Minnow

FWIW the lights are listed as epistar with the color being 3000-3200K. I guess that is what they call the temperature.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
White Marlin

The warmer the color temp the better off you are. The HPS aren't white. They are a low color temp also producing a yellowish/orange hue which penetrates dirty water well. The very white lights you've seen in floodlight fixtures were probably metal halide.

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Sailfish

I told Mrlullabye to come to this forum for some input on setting up his rig so all you LED guys try and help him out. I can't help with LESs
GIggaMon likes this.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:51 AM   #5
Sailfish

I have some input on LEDs. Certain ones suck. Namely the blueish white lighted ones. I borrowed a high dollar set once and was sorely dissapointed with the performance. Well they did work great as driving lights on the river...
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

well my led should be here any day now. I'll start there and see how it goes.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
TRG
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlullabye View Post
I am going to give floundering a go and am looking to mount a few lights on my boat to see how it goes. Trying to keep it cheap since it is just a pilot.
Planning on using cheap china LED lights.
I know the color of the light makes a difference on one of the other threads someone said warm white with the lowest temp possible. It got me wondering, would yellow or green lights be better?

I've always heard green light traveled farthest under water. I am color blind so the color does not matter too much to me, but I know that some things show up better under certain colors. It even crossed my mind would you want to mix a few different color lights?

I have about $30 worth of the 10w round single LED pool lights as they call them on ebay. They have a very wide degree like 120 flood pattern and are fairly low lumens like 850. They are not particularly fancy lights but it seemed like the best balance of what I would need for a small investment.

I have 6 of them on order to spread around the bow. I would think it should be fairly bright, but I see some folks running the 150 white HPS, I know that is going to give a tremendous amount of light.
Any help is appreciated.
I tried putting green lenses on halogen lights before the color seems to work well but it cuts back the output of the lights so much it wasn't worth doing. I think the leds work good in clear water I use hps cause it's always muddy where I spend my nights at
TRG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in