Wading Destin - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 05-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Wading Destin

I will be in Destin in a couple weeks. I am fired up to get down there and do some fishing. I was surfing the web last night looking at fishing articles, getting my son excited about our trip. We ran across a gigging video. My son got big eyed and asked if we could do that on our trip.
We already have one offshore and one bay fishing trip planned, but I have decided to try gigging out. At least get my son in the water at night and do some exploring, if we happen upon some flounder...all the better.

I have never been to Destin. But I have (think I have) a good plan on where to go. I have a good lantern with a crome reflector I use for surf fishing and I am going to just use a bullfrog gig I have in the garage. It's just a one night deal, so I don't want to spend a ton of money getting outfitted with underwater lights, fancy floats and stainless gigg's.

My question is...does anyone with any gigging experience want to tag along?
okiehuntnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Mingo

have fun when u get down there i bet the boy will love it . there are also flounder barge charters in texas u can do during the winter months i think in the galvaston area dont kno if ur close to it ? but i think the frog gig is not gonna cut it , try a one prong gig they are not the much $ and just pin the fish down then pick up with hands . GL
fulish850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks. I will get a different gig. I am up by Dallas, I will look into Galvaston later this year. I am up by Dallas, It's about a 4 or so hour drive down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Mingo

What night are you going?
banjovie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjovie View Post
What night are you going?
banjo i know wat ur thinking , frodo syndrome is a Fl born disease we can not let it spread to the good people in TX ........ plus i have family there
fulish850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Grouper

Morning Okie
When you get to Destin, you might want to try the beach just North of the Coast Guard station. West side of the bridge and accesible by foot.It has deep water channel and flats that run up to the beach, killed quite a few there.The North shore of Destin going into Choctawhatchee is one of my goto areas and allways produces. Take a gig and a net if you like blue crabs.
Good Luck
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Thank you guys!! I appreciate the info and will put it to good use. banjovie...pm replied to.
Not sure what frodo syndrome is...but I have found that a cold budlight cures just about anything.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Grouper

Default Frodo foot disease explained

Afternoon Okie
I'm sure you are confused about the Frodo Foot Disease syndrome. The new young guns think it was caused by BP and are trying to collect huge checks, so they can fish everyday.It's been around a long time and the scientific name is Frodofishichtis. There are numerous post on this forum and Gulf Coast Fishing Forum/Pensacola about this dreaded disease. The attached picture is a case study of only about 4 years and the cause is wade gigging flounder.It's like unprotected sex, sooner or later you look down and there it is. Fullish is afraid of the zombie mermaids in the Pirates of the Carribean movie, but in my opinion that in the advanced stages that this is what you become. Fullish be very afraid, because there is no coming back. Banjo is kinda new and has allready seen the first stages. Hairy feet and webbed toes. Dr. Phil says it is more than a medical condition, it is a state of mind. I think it is a reversion back to the neanderthal days with the hairy feet and reverting back into a fish. I base this on the Oprah show, but she has some weird beliefs. What are we going to do now that she is off the air??? Dr. Oz says there is absolutely no cure after first contact is made and you have to just count your days and hope the tide and wind is right. Protect yourself and remember that a bad day fishing is allways better than a good day at work. Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion and have a great vacation.
bamafan611
Attached Images

Last edited by bamafan611; 05-27-2011 at 03:51 PM.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Bama,
We have not met...yet. But I need to assure you, I have fishichtis also. I think I caught it when I was noodling with Oprah back in the 70's in the Deep Fork River out east of Oklahoma City. I knew there was an explaniation for the mermaids. Dr Phil was our stringer man...what a puss.

Needless to say I am ready for the new strain Frodofishichtis ala Destin, FL.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Also, after many days of contemplation I am kicking around hauling my boat down. Anyone know of any nearshore snapper/grouper hides out of Destin Pass? ...only if you have Frodofishichtis.

I am at odds with my wife about hauling the boat so I need some moral support...anyone up for a nearshore/offshore adventure with gigging to boot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in