Tuesday Night -11-27-07 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Tuesday Night -11-27-07

WOW, I forgot how rough that bay can get on a good North East wind! :bowdown I can tell you my fellow flounder fisherman, you didn't want to be headed North out of Ft. Pickens trying to get to Navy Point on Tuesday Night after midnight.........Me and my buddy (heck, I hope he's still my buddy, lol) Rodney Allen gigged one fish after searching high and low for flatties at Pickens, the Pass, Big Lagoon, etc. The wind started out at around 15K from the E-NE and switched about midnight to N-NE at 20+K with waves busting over the bow of the boat as we tried to brave Pickens.....

The Rocket finally said "hey, my FUN METER is pegged out....get me back to Navy Point...NOW" We tightened up our Life Jackets and headed North....thank God that my Bielge Pump was working because the bay was white capping and had to be 2-3ft with a chop! I trimmed her up and slowly made my way through the slosh....can't say that Rodney will ringing my phone off the hook anytime soon to get back out there to go Floundering.....

Just thought I'd share that story for everyone who's never been out there in the TEETH of the NEstern! I tell you one thing, that weatherunderground marine forecast was right on! Don't trust the weather channel website!!!!

Happy Hunting - Did anyone go last night (Wednesday?) It looked like it was going flat as a pancake! Dernit, I picked the wrong night to go....but you can't kill'em on the couch and you have to go when you can!

Here's a pic of me with the lonely Flounder! Thanks Rocket for baring your teeth and taking the pic on the water.....lol, he was doggcussing me when I broke the camera out and asked for a pic!

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Tuesday Night -11-27-07

I hear ya! Don't feel bad, we were out then too! Put in at Shoreline about midnight. The parking lot was dead empty....here's your sign!

Seemed likeENE wind there....at LEAST 20+. Plan was to start over by Chickenbone and head west. Shoot, 1/2 way across we were getting wet and pounded so we abandonedTHAT idea! Figured theslop was getting worse the farther we went, and if they were there, we probably wouldn't be able to see 'em anyway! We poked around on the west side of GB (a LITTLE sheltered). We didn't expect much, and unfortunately were right. Oh well, good company, a few beers, and a night on the water! An earlier report was much better: they got eight...started at sundown. Timing is everything (well important, at least!). How often does the wind PICK UP at night? SHEESH! :banghead

At least you got one. Good for you for toughing it out!

Better luck next time!
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

No doubt! We got out there early enough that the wind hadn't picked up yet and got over there and it doubled and turned a little more out of the North!

Yeah, like you said about "Here's your sign" lol....we got to the parking lot of Navy Pt. and my buddy was like...."where's everybody else" there was one truck in the parking lot and it looked like a Gulf Boat.....so as you said....that should have been my first clue that things weren't right......
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
White Marlin

Well at least you had the cajones to tough it out. Sounds like you got out a little earlier than us. I guess we would've tried heading for Pickens if it was calmer (if we got there earlier), but it would have been one nasty long ride back to Shoreline, given your report. Besides, I HATE it when it's so rough the beer starts spilling!:shedevil
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Congrat's on getting one. As Flounderpounder said, It was windy as hell out there after midnight. Thank god for cold beer and good company :letsdrink
Murphy's Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in