Trolling motor which one or type - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By bamafan611
  • 1 Post By X-Shark
  • 1 Post By Flounder9.75
  • 1 Post By NoMoSurf
  • 1 Post By bamafan611

Old 05-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Trolling motor which one or type

I want buy the one with no brace but I dont know how tough they are if I get that one I wont have any thing to trip over on the deck and Marc and Terry what shaft length do you guys have thanks, Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Trolling motor which one or type-10096001-jpg  
Attached Images

GIggaMon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Grouper

Frank, talk to Vernon at Fox trolling motors. Mine is a 6o inch shaft and he told me to stay away far away from Minn Kota.I have the Motorguide varimax. Love it. Mine is the 36 volt 105 and I know it's overkill but, I never usually run it over half speed and can get 3 nights out of a battery charge. 36 volt. High speed comes in handy if you are working docks and want to jet around them. The 24 and 36 volt Motorgide are built in the USA. I bought mine from Vernon and if there is a problem he will stop whatever is going on and get it right. Had it go in the shop once and was back on the road in an hour. Really good folks to deal with.
GIggaMon likes this.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
and he told me to stay away far away from Minn Kota
Really? WOW! I would have thought just the opposite.

In the Minkota units that you would look at.... "Saltwater Bowmount"

They have the SE, SM & SF

One of the things I've read is the lower models SE,SM have a plastic cage to hold the brushes. The SF [and the one I have] is supposed to have a Brass cage to hold the brushes.

Mine is the Riptide SF 24V - 62in unit. Very pleased with it. It is their Top of the line Saltwater - Tiller steer in 24V.

I hated to do it, but had to....Paint it flat Black due to light reflection.

One piece of info that is needed is a Master shut OFF switch to kill power to the wiring that leads to the TM.

To not do it.......OR Not use the switch and leave the power on to it all the time will result in corrosion on the TM.

I installed one in a boat when I installed the TM....I gave instructions as to how to use it....They ignored me and this is the result.

Here is the Surface mount Breaker and the ON/OFF Master switch for the TM.

GIggaMon likes this.
X-Shark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Sailfish

What he said

I think they make a smaller mount. Ck with Vernon
GIggaMon likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
White Marlin

I had a MK saltwater on my last boat and loved it.
The added boanus of the MK stuff is that it will interface with the iPilot GPS head and also hook into a Humminbird GPS Fishfinder. You can mark a spot on the screen and trolling motor will hold you there, or circle it, or whatever you want. If you have a Navionics card, you can set it to follow a countour. Say you want to fish a shoreline and stay in 20ft of water. Like Ron Popeille! Set it and forget it!!! The trolling motor will move you along and keep you at that depth.

Only problem I had with mine was when I was moving upriver at full speed in semi flood conditions when I full sized tree trunk got washed down river and hit the undersiide of the boat. Cracked the shaft, but it still got us home. MInn Kota fisxed it no questions asked!
OHenry likes this.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
Trigger

I have the very same motor as x shark. I had to take it to fox trolling motors last year, for new armature, and seals. They told me what terry said. I thought minn kota was best. Mine works fine. Plenty of power, and the spring in the mount has been tested several times on stumps and submerged pilings.
I like mine, no complaints. But, the man that worked on it for me told me when it dies, to get the one Terry has. Not sure what to think or do. Guess I will figure it out when it dies.
www.nightshiftcharterservice.com
Night Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 AM   #7
White Marlin

Everybody has there own preferences. I've never had anything but bad luck with Motor Guide. Some of my friends as well as my fishing partner have got the same story. Maybe they build them better now. I've had a Riptide 36 volt, 101#, bow mount for about 6-7 years and put it through pure hell and its still going, no issues. I've worn out 4 props, chewed them down to nothing on sand and oyster shells. I'm gonna stick with what works, Minn Kota.
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Trigger

I have had multiple Minn Kota's and a motor guide and all were good tm but I now have the MK Ipilot and love the features it has. It is nice to pull up to a dock or bridge and hit anchor button and be fishing in seconds versus throwing a anchor out.
Aqua Uno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Uno View Post
I have had multiple Minn Kota's and a motor guide and all were good tm but I now have the MK Ipilot and love the features it has. It is nice to pull up to a dock or bridge and hit anchor button and be fishing in seconds versus throwing a anchor out.

Yes....But we are talking Floundering here. I've tried a Remote Control TM for Floundering. I hated it....Not near the control that I needed for Floundering...It was Very quirky.

Ended up....My brother would steer the boat by moving the TM head by hand. I'd control the speed.

I took it off the boat and sold it. It would be fine for Bass fishing....But not Floundering.
X-Shark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Grouper

I've worn out 4 props, chewed them down to nothing on sand and oyster shells. I'm gonna stick with what works, Minn Kota.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya brother. The 36 volt MG comes with an aluminum prop option and they don't even hold up to what we do. I believe we are tougher on TM's than any other type fishing period.

Bobby you are right. The way we work in and out and circle and backup to look at the suspicious dark spot and spin around because we just ran over one{ my eves ain't what they used to be}I don't see how autopilot would be a benefit.
TRG likes this.

Last edited by bamafan611; 05-10-2014 at 02:35 PM.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in