Time to choose my lights, any advice? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Time to choose my lights, any advice?

I am from the old school, harder way of walking to gig our flounder years ago. I now have my Jon, on a very nice trailer and its time for me to purchace my light to use. We always made our lights out of wood sticks and mounted a 12"x12" 5/8" plywood on it and rigged a DC socket and tried to find the brightest bulbs they made and it floated on top of the gulf water. I have been reading a lot of you guys reviews on going to a generator for Halogens. I guess I am asking, what is the average weight of the 2k's you are refering to and will it light up the bottom better shining into the water or actually being where the bulb in submersed? Man, we used to light that gulf up like a swimming pool! It was great! It prob also has a lot to do with the color of the bottom I'm sure. Do you think its safe to buy the clamp on ones that coonect to a bigger deep cycle or go with the generator? Thanks guys!

Gig'm when ya can!

Can't wait!:hungry
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Rider
Default RE: Time to choose my lights, any advice?

Well I guess it;s just a matter of personal preference. Not sure what you are asking about the weight of the 2'ks. I have tried all different set up's on my boat. There are pros and cons of using lights above the water verses lights under the water.... Above water lights can give off a glair if there are ripples in the water where lights under the water will not. But lights under the water are more at risk of striking an object and busting. I switched to a honda generator last year and now im using lights above the water. I enjoyed using the battery system in the past but got tired of charging after every trip and purchasing batteries every year. They were nice and pieceful but would not last all night. The night would start off bright but would grow dimmer as the night wore on. With a generator the lights are just as bright when you start as they are when you have had all the gigging you can stand for one night. Im going to guess that your 2'ks question is asking about how much a 2000 watt generator would weigh????? Im not 100% on the weight of a 2000 watt but I can say that my honda 1000 Watt weighs 23 pounds. Less than a good 12 volt deep cycle battery. Hope i was able to answer some of your questions. Good luck with the flounder. ><((((((*>
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Sailfish

That was some great advice! I was thinking the generators were pushing the 100-200lb weights. Can I still use submersed lights with the 1000k? Does that work the same way? Man, I appreciate the advice, I don't want to go buy a bunch of old school stuff when you guys have it field tested and figured out!

Thanks!:hungry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

Here is a link to what I am running. https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...1443-18-1.aspx

Couple of pic's from last year. It was a little windy that night.

Murphy's Law is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Sailfish

Just search though this section ( Flounder Gigging) and there are several different setups to ck out.

Best advise:Use both underwater and above and keep it simple
Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

I have 6 halagon lights([email protected] 300 watts and [email protected] 100 watts) and runnning the coleman powermate 2200 xl. The wattage on it is 2200/1850. The coleman I have weights about the same as a full 48 quart ice chest. I run the one 100 watt light so I can run my 2 bank 10 amp on board charger, this allows me to fish all night.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Sailfish

Thanks!

Some good lighting there man! That looks like the way I'd like to see'em! Covered a pretty good size area too. Did you have any luck that eve?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Fish Like You're Hungry (3/5/2008)Thanks!

Some good lighting there man! That looks like the way I'd like to see'em! Covered a pretty good size area too. Did you have any luck that eve?
Me and Last Chance went that night. We covered a lot of water and stayed out very late, But we got a few.

Murphy's Law is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
Trigger

The 2000Honda suitcase is the way to go. I run 2 500w under water lights and 2 500w above water. Heres a few pics!

Dont forget the "beverage" holder on you new rig also!

BLKFLYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin

Quote:
BLKFLYZ (3/6/2008)The 2000Honda suitcase is the way to go. I run 2 500w under water lights and 2 500w above water.
Not knocking your set up at all but isnt a 2000w honda only about 1600w contstant??? seems to me that running 2000w of light would burn the generator up pretty quick. i could be wrong and if so let me know, always looking to learn!!!
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in