Tides... Your choice? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Tides... Your choice?

How many of you wont even put the boat in the water if the tide isnt right for you and who doesnt care what its doing? Whats your favorite tide to go on and around what time? Personally Ive always found incoming tides the most productive but have actually killed more flounder at one time on an outgoing. Probably just found them that night. Whats your opinions?
Travis12Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Mingo

haha shouldnt u be on the water by now fishing ? my theory is just go , if u wait on the perfect tide then u could wait for months and thats just time wasted for nothing . the ones that do wait are the folks that sit there scratching their heads reading great reports and kicking themselves for not going . but i do catch more fish in moving water in or out . now with that said, get out there so we can have a report in the morning !
fulish850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Sailfish

I've always had better luck gigging flounder on an outgoing tide. Where I gig, the water color is poor so it's easier to see them when the water isn't deep and getting deeper with an incoming tide. Easier to spot a sting ray too with an outgoing tide so I don't step on one.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Grouper

Just made it back to the house about 30 minutes ago. I was able to get my limit but it was an all nighter. As soon as I figure out how to get put pictures on my computer from my Droid ill start posting pics. Weather was great, but the east side of the bay was really murky and had to stick to the west side. Fish didnt start finding the beach until one or so and they didnt stick around long. Spent alot time chasing ghosts. Ended up with 10 flounder all 16 plus inches, 2 sheepshead, a few jarheads, and some crabs. It wasnt too bad. Alot of poling along. The crabs around catfish are pretty thick if your looking for those. Just couldnt see well enough to flounder or I may have been able to pick and choose. Overall it wasnt too bad, but the floundering is just slow right now. Hopefully it will pick up soon.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Professional bad ass
Snapper

The tides don't dictate if I go at all. If it's a strong tide though it may dictate which direction I pole! In my opinion the only thing the tide does is dictate how long it will be before they start to come up to the edge. The wind speed and direction will usually dictate where I go and can possibly make me not go, not usually though.
-WiRtH- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Grouper

Have allways done better with a rising tide. I have gigged flounders on low tide/neap tide and everything in between. But my very best nights and nights most consistent have been when the tide was rising. I've actually floundered nights with the tide low and no fish sign and waited for the tide change. Once the tide started to rise have slayed them on the same beach I had just floundered. Don't get me wrong//Go when you can// and log conditions when you go and I think you will see more on a rising tide.
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
bbb
Mingo

I've got spots that are better on low tides and spots that are better at high tide.

The wind has just as much influence on where I go as the tide does.

Last week we started working the shoreline at dead low. Nothing was laying shallow and only small 6" fish laying in 1-2 foot of water. But as the tide started coming in, the fish came with it and we started finding them up in 6-12" of water.

I've also hit a creek with the tide half out, and found them laying shallow, 6-12", and pointing towards the deeper water.

Its not just where OR when you go, its where AND when you go.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Grouper

Well said bbb
bamafan611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Grouper

I don't worry about the tides too much either. I just go. Although wind plays a big role in if I go or not. Too much wind and I will hang it up unless its a direction I know I can still flounder on. I typically will check to see what the tides are doing though and if I see the incoming tide starting an hour or so later ill wait a little bit before I go to catch it. As Bama mentioned I've always done better on incoming tides. Good post bbb.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Mingo

Ok , now that we have all the facts and the yrs of experience laid out by some of the finest flounder hunters on this forum ( including me ) . Let's see the photos of last night catch Travis !
fulish850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in