Suggestions on new wading light - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By low tide

Old 08-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Suggestions on new wading light

I'm fairly new to gigging. I started last year with minimal luck. Like anything I started cheap. I picked up a propane light from Walmart and have used it the few times I've gone.

So last night I tried my luck around Fort Morgan and Orange Beach. It seemed to be a great night with the northeast wind. The gulf was crystal clear. I went most of the night and never saw the first flounder. At around 2 I ran into another guy gigging with submersible LED lights and he had 3 fish and told me he had missed plenty more. At this point I got to thinking maybe I had walked past a few fish and never saw them.

Then a short while later I kicked a rather large ray up that I never even saw. I'm not sure if my eye sight is getting worse or what, but I always make it a point to only go where I can see 100% and I walk very slow. At that point for my safety I decided I should probably invest in a better light.

So I'm open to any suggestions. I would prefer something with a self contained battery and under $100, but like I said I'm open to any suggestions.
bigtee likes this.
low tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 02:55 AM   #2
White Marlin

Jerry's led lights Google them.
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
Grouper

I second Jerry's.
etrade92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
Great White Buffalo
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by low tide View Post
I'm fairly new to gigging. I started last year with minimal luck. Like anything I started cheap. I picked up a propane light from Walmart and have used it the few times I've gone.

So last night I tried my luck around Fort Morgan and Orange Beach. It seemed to be a great night with the northeast wind. The gulf was crystal clear. I went most of the night and never saw the first flounder. At around 2 I ran into another guy gigging with submersible LED lights and he had 3 fish and told me he had missed plenty more. At this point I got to thinking maybe I had walked past a few fish and never saw them.

Then a short while later I kicked a rather large ray up that I never even saw. I'm not sure if my eye sight is getting worse or what, but I always make it a point to only go where I can see 100% and I walk very slow. At that point for my safety I decided I should probably invest in a better light.

So I'm open to any suggestions. I would prefer something with a self contained battery and under $100, but like I said I'm open to any suggestions.
If you're kicking up rays, that means your light isn't bright enough. You should be able to clearly see rays. I recommend using the Outrigger Outdoors Swamp Eye light for wading and gigging. Obviously they support me, but I wouldn't pick a better group of guys to be supported by.

The Swamp Eye light is the brightest and most portable light on the market. They are color tone adjustable for clear or muddy waters (can adjust from a cool white to a warm HPS type of white), come with a mounting bracket to easily mount them to your gig pole, and not to mention they sell some very good quality gigs if you happen to be in the market. Compared to Jerrys LED, the major difference is that they are brighter and they are color tone adjustable. Other than that, Jerry makes a good light.

Because the Swamp Eye's are color tone adjustable, it's better to mount them higher up on your gig so you illuminate the entire area around you to avoid mis-haps such as stepping on a sting ray.

Check them out here, there are some pictures of the light mounted to gig poles: https://outriggeroutdoors.com/produc...wfishing-light

www.OutriggerOutdoors.com

LIKE us on FB and follow us on IG

bigtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in