Stuck before - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Rider
Default Stuck before

One of the 7 flounder we gigged friday night had been gigged in the past. Lucky for the flounder it was not a fatal shot. I noticed the scars around the mid section on the fish behind any vitals. It was no dought that they were gig marks by the way the scars were spaced out even. Any one else ever come across a flounder like this.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Stuck before

i've gigged plenty of fish in the past that had both fresh injuries and injuries that had already healed up. The one you stuck was probably one that donnie cook tried to stick in the fall. (i'm kidding, he told me a few weeks back that he knew you, so i figured i'd throw that last sentence in)
biggamefishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Grouper

I caught on on the jetties one time on a rod and reel about 4 or 5 pounds and he had a huge gash from his backbone all the way to the bottom fin, almost like someone tried to cut him in half. It was all healed over but very ugly. I figure a diver must have stuck him with his knife and he got away
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Trigger

A funny thing happened to my friend last year. We went gigging and pulled up on a large sheepie. He was infairly deep water so I told my friend to let me get him (he had never gigged one before) to show him how and he could get the next one. Well I never miss 'em unless they spook but this one I hit right on the hard part of the head and the gig just slid off and he bolted. Two days later my friend was at the Gulf Breeze flea market and overhears a guy telling this story about this big sheephead hehookednear the mouth of the sound in Choctawhatchee Bay which is where we were gigging. He was talkingabout how it had cuts on its head from a gig. My friend didnt talk to the guy but I told him he should have since that was against the odds that he would run into the guy that caught the fish we missed only days before. Maybe that was one of you on here?

I always hate to hit one and miss which rarely ever happens. I try to be certain its a sure thing before I go because I dont want to injure a fish and have him get away.

Would any of you eat a fish that had been injured and had open wounds? I dont think I would.

Jeff
jeff456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
Sailfish

I dont think I would eat one with open wounds but the flounder im talking about was heeled up. A few tears back there were two boat loads of us out for a flounder trip. My buddy called me on the nextel to say he had just stuck a big sheaphead and that his ploe broke off and the fish swam off with his gig... (Rotten Dow pole) any way a few hours later I wound up fishing the area were he had lost his fish and gig. All of a suden I spot a nice sheaphead having trouble swimming. Yep you guessed it. It was him. I managed to stick him and get my buddy's gig back.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

Quote:
jeff456 (3/31/2008)

Would any of you eat a fish that had been injured and had open wounds? I dont think I would.

Jeff
why would there be anything wrong with eating a fish with open wounds? think about it...unless you are eating sushi, you're going to cook a fish like that pretty close to well done. the heat would kill any bacteria you might fear. we catch tuna and dorado all the time with open wounds from cookie cutter sharks. you think we just toss that meat away? hell no...
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
Sailfish

Thanks a pretty cool story about the Sheephead and your buddy's gig pole broke off! What a trip. What did he have to say? I bet he was on a mission!
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
The Blue Hoo (4/1/2008)
Quote:
jeff456 (3/31/2008)

Jeff

why would there be anything wrong with eating a fish with open wounds? think about it...unless you are eating sushi, you're going to cook a fish like that pretty close to well done. the heat would kill any bacteria you might fear. we catch tuna and dorado all the time with open wounds from cookie cutter sharks. you think we just toss that meat away? hell no...
Next time I catch a fish with some yellow matter custard dripping from it's open wound I will save him for you.:hungry
Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
Snapper

I stuck a nice fish this fall out by the pass that had fresh gig marks in his back. He was still bleeding. I thought it was kind of wierd too. If someone stuck a gig in my ass I am not gonna stick around to have it happen again.
tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin

Quote:
tightlines (4/1/2008)I stuck a nice fish this fall out by the pass that had fresh gig marks in his back. He was still bleeding. I thought it was kind of wierd too. If someone stuck a gig in my ass I am not gonna stick around to have it happen again.
LOL...im with you...i sure wouldnt stick around!
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in