Something to quit loosing fish - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Something to quit loosing fish

So i am wondering has anyone made anything like a mini harpoon or something that afte you gig a fish in deeper water u can stick it with this and then after it goes through the fish it opens up to help without loosing the fish needing some help to see if there such thing. i lost 4 nice fish last night in deep water cause i couldnt scoop them in the boat
mudd_cat23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
Sailfish

An arrow for fishing would work,just fashion it to a pole of some sort...what kind of gig are ya using? I've found that the ones made from all thread work really well.I built my own with key stock and all thread. I havent got to many(2) flounder with it,but I did gig a cooler full of sting rays and nair one came off.
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
what kind of gig are ya using?

My question also....Post a pix.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Trigger

A lot of guys swear by the "all-thread" gig design...I didn't go that route however, didn't want to spend money on one...so I welded some long and tough barbs on the end of my gig (it is a custom gig head and not a wal-mart special) for cheap and I never, emphasis on NEVER, lose a fish once I get at least one prong through the head or body. Also you should get a 10ft. or longer pole to mount it on so you can have better success stabbing in the deeper conditions. I got mine on a 12ft. aluminum pole...Good luck!
jhamilton226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Pensacola Live Bait Boat
Snapper

If your wading a polespear slip tip works awesome I just attach my stringer to it and plug away dragging my catch behind..
PaulandBethB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Mingo

i was using a reg. sea striker 3 prong gig. But today i went to a local commercial fishing shop and a guy in there specializes in custom gig heads so ill try it out its a 3 prong with some nice barbs on it now i just gotta rig something up to so i can sling the fish off in the boat and it not take forever to get off the gig
mudd_cat23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Trigger

I use a stainless steel plate that is well over a foot long (probably about 18 to 20 inches long and about 12 inches wide) with a slot cut through the middle half way up the width of the plate...slide the plate over the fish and push off with your feet...boom your done! lol, it's really simple if you get the concept actually, and I have lines drawn to easily measure my fish as a bonus...the hardest part about making it is finding the stainless plate and the means to cut it! My dad works in a machine shop so I kinda cheated a there but I have seen the same thing done with wood and even seen guys with wooden planks mounted to their boat above the cooler to make for even faster fish removal! Hope that helps, and I can take a pic and post if you need just let me know...good luck!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Quote:
slide the plate over the fish and push off with your feet...boom your done!
Actually handling the plate sounds Heavy.

Cooler is strapped to the floor.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Trigger

Nah! Plate weighs maybe 2 to 3lbs. at most, and keep in mind that stainless was the best material available to me for the size required...its good because it will hold the fish down for a second after you first remove them too(you know they flop like crazy!). But keep in mind I'm 25 years old so a lil extra "weight" is not an issue for me right now I like mine for cheap simplicity, and no cooler modding required, so there is a trade off to your set up Shark...looks really nice tho! I bet it has seen a lot of fish too! Anyways, hope our ideas help you some Cat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in