Rigging my boat??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 09-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Default Rigging my boat???

I've got a 21' Canyon Bay flats boat with a trolling motor forward. Looking for ideas on how to best put some lights on the boat.

My idea is to have a casting platform built forward, then attach temporary legs out from say, rodholders attached to the platform. That can be removed easily.

A question though. Is the trolling motor on the bow necessary? Or do you guys creep along on your outboard way tipped up and at idle. Is a push pole a better idea?

The trolling motor seems easiest, but it might be a pain to build around. It does have a quick release to get it off the bow easily.

Wondering the best approach to adding lights (temporarily), and the easiest propulsion system.

I'll be using a Honda 2000. What's the best light combo to use?

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Your flats boat would be an amazing flounder rig.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Some people will use the Outboard.

Here's the problems with that.

Your always going to be sticking fish on the fly. Not great for getting a good shot at them and or sticking them and then running over the Gig.
Never mind the part about dragging the skeg constantly in the sand and sucking sand into the cooling system.

Bow Mount trolling motors give the quickest response to stop and turn. You can''t do that with a outboard.

Poling all night? ....... Have fun. NOT!

Quote:
My idea is to have a casting platform built forward, then attach temporary legs out from say, rodholders attached to the platform. That can be removed easily.
I'd have to see a drawing of what your talking about. You don't want the light beam bouncing off the deck. It will blind you.

Then there is the problem if the lights hang out to far of hitting dock's or poles with them and you can have troubles with the trailer also.

Think WAY ahead....In your planning.

Last edited by X-Shark; 09-14-2012 at 06:39 AM.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Doing a little search on here and elsewhere I think I make these work for lights.

http://ultimategiglights.vpweb.com/P...d-Pricing.html

But from his videos it looks like the LED lights might be too intense:

The"normal" bulbs seem easier on the eyes:

Maybe it's just the video...

Anybody use this setup? Any advantages or disadvantages compared to lights above the water?

Jim
Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

I am interested in this as well. I was thinking that maybe the leds is the way to go due to their lower power consumption. I have a 21 ft Maverick Master Angler with a bow mount 24 volt trolling motor and I was hoping to be able to use the trolling batts or the starting bat so as to avoid having to use a generator or something.

HibiscuByTheBay.com St. Andrew Bay Front Boating & Fishing Community.
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
I am interested in this as well. I was thinking that maybe the leds is the way to go due to their lower power consumption. I have a 21 ft Maverick Master Angler with a bow mount 24 volt trolling motor and I was hoping to be able to use the trolling batts or the starting bat so as to avoid having to use a generator or something.
I run a 24 volt and have been using the 2 starfires with no problem for 10 hrs hardly a drop. I recently got a 50 watt led flood and really like it and it does not draw much at all, but I am definetly a newb for sure.
flukedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Quote:
I was hoping to be able to use the trolling batts or the starting bat so as to avoid having to use a generator
Stay away from your Starting battery. You need that good and Hot to get your Butt home.

I liked the physical way that his lights looked, but did you notice that aprox the first 3ft from the light pretty much just washed everything out?

I've still got ideas in my head for underwater lights mounted in the hull. They need to be streamlined so the boat can get up and run and also have the correct aiming.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Shark View Post
Stay away from your Starting battery. You need that good and Hot to get your Butt home.
I might be ok.

I have the Stealth Charging System (charge on the run) on my boat and a switch so that if I run down the start battery I can switch to the trolling batts, start the engine, let it run to put a charge on the start batt. Shut down switch to start batt and start the engine.

Also while running the system automatically charges my trolling batts once the start batt is up to charge.

I would prefer to figure away to run the light(s) off the trolling batts.

HibiscuByTheBay.com St. Andrew Bay Front Boating & Fishing Community.
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in