Now I know why........ - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 04-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Now I know why........

I believe I know why all you guys have converted to Halogens. Its the down time of charging the batteries. I was thinking about going after the post asking if guys were going to hit it after the rain. Well, I forgot that my batteries are still only 65-75% and I wanted to bring them up to full. After reading some of your posts, sounds like they don't spook as easy as I thought and we can use the trolling motor a little more and enjoy the night instead of working for it so hard.... The generators must be the way to go because I haven't found any DC Halogens. I would imagine they would draw a lot more anyway. I'll have to get my $ out of the DC rigs and then I'm going to Halogens!

:hungry
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin
Default RE: Now I know why........

I ran a DC rig on my boat for a few years but just got tired of dealing with the batteries. sometimes we would fish for a wile and not really get into them till we had been fishing for a long time and then when we really started seeing them the light would start to get dim due to the battery discharging all night. i didnt think i would like the generator/halogens untill i went fishing with MR after he switched. love it!!! now the only battery i have to deal with is my trolling motor battery and i have 2 hooked up on it so it will last a LONG time!!! there are advantages and disadvantages to both setups...but for me the ease of the generator virses having to deal with the batteries made my choice. i get a lot wider light using the 4 halogens also. once again...hope this helps!
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Sailfish

Big time!, I also see you have your trolling motor up front. Mine is in the rear. I am surprised that you guys don't hit bottom with the motor when you're out. I shut mine off and try to get to shallow I think. I wish that when I do convert, I could duplicate yours or MR's set up! They are nice! I run a 12v motor. I could just imagine if I ran a 36v one plus lights! Thepics you guys post just make it look so bright! Mine are underwater and there is hardly any lighttopside at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Sailfish

trolling motor up front is the only way to go for me! i have 2 seats similer to MRs that go upfront also. i run a 12v trolling motor...the one pictured was a 39lb thrust but as stated in a previous post it went swimming...my new one is a 50lb but my boat is pretty heavy! but when it comes to trolling motors i find that bigger is not always better...the bigger the motor the bigger the prop is thus the more water it needs to run. with mine usually if i have to pull it up im not far at all from hitting bottom with the boat (boat draws a little less then a foot of water with 2 guys sitting on the bow)so it does not cause me any problems...i always run the bank with the port side to the bank...trolling motor is on the stbd side so the trolling motor is usually in plenty of water. with it set up this way we can sit down and relax wile running along the bank with no real effort! every once in a wile we will get in a jam and have to pick up the motor and poll with the gigs to get back in deeper water.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Sailfish

Yeah, I noticed you boat looks to be a welded one. Mine is a 15' , 42" wide Alumacraft. It has plenty of room but I don't know about having enough to put two seats up front. I'll have to take some pics to let you see what we're working with. It has about a 3' deck up front and then it ges wider as it goes back but no where to mount two seats except on the bottom. I'll be sure to post some pics here to show you. My trolling motor is a 50 also and you guessed it, the prop is pretty big. It will move the boat pretty good, but can't really get shallow because it starts spinning out of the water.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Sailfish

MRs boat is a 14' Aluimcraft...he had his deck up front exted back a little ways and that made room for mounting the pedistols for the seats and also made the deck sturdier. that boat must fly with a 50lb trolling motor on it!!! i think he is running a 30lb and it has plenty of power to move his boat. my boat is considerably heavier then his thus the larger trolling motor but i still dont have a problem with it. i dont see a need to spend the money on a 36v trolling motor but whatever tickles your fancy. helli dont even run a salt water series!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
Sailfish

Oh no I am not at all thinking about running a 36 volt. I was just trying to imagine what kind of power you guys must need to take you around all night. I am just running two 27's deep cycles. one for the lights up front and one hooked to a light on the starboard side and to the trolling motor so I can see a fish or two also if it happens to get passed her. Pretty much right now, my wife is the sticker! She has the prime spot! I'd love to be up front. I've got to get with him (MR) and see how he extended his deck. Yeah, our boat puts off a wake on calm water. It scoots pretty good! We love it! I've just got to get up front with her and we'll start getting them! I sure appreciate the help!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Sailfish

Glad i could help!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

What wattage halogen lightsand what type generator are you using, Thanks
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
Snapper

I believe Flounder Assassin is running a 2000 watt with 4x300 watt halogens.
Last Chance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in