Newbie advice please - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 04-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Newbie advice please

I have a 18' cat that draws around 8" of water. Bought a generator and have put together two 300 watt halogen lights that mount over the forward deck. Have not gone floundering yet - but my question is:

push pole, trolling motor or use existing 4 stroke (quiet) motor while looking for flounder.

I don't have a trolling motor and would like to know pros and cons...if any.

thanks.

john
triguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to PompNewbie Send a message via Yahoo to PompNewbie
Default RE: Newbie advice please

Depends on the area your in and the current, wind, etc..

I have used all 3 depending on conditions but mostly I use trolling motor and push pole.

as far as benefits of all 3 Ill give it a shot

1# push pole is super quiet and offers decent control with no gas usage or battery drainage..

2# trolling motor offers better control for momentum (I still have somone up front with a pole for steering) and noise is not really a issue

3# Main motor I only use in strong currents for forward momentum or navigating obstacles in the way.

Noise wont really be a issue with any of those option as your generator will probably be louder.

Hope that helps
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
PompNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin

i use a hand controled trolling motor mounted up front on my boat...for me push polling is too much like work...call me lazy! i do not have any issues with noise..i have seena flounder right before i passed over it, went ahead and passed it and turned around and went back and stuck him! i just like the control with the trolling motor. i can turn the boat side to side to go around docks and stuff in the water with no effort and sometimes we run up on something that we didnt see in time and i just use my gig to stop the boat (also turning off the trolling motor) and then go from there. there is several different ways to do it...alldepends on yourpersonal choice
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Rider

For me trolling motor is the way to go. Im like Flounder Assassin ..... I wont poll. When the trolling motor battery goes dead im going home flounder or no flounder. Its supposed to be fun and relaxing. I get my work out at work. Not on the boat. As far as noise. I have ran over fish with the trolling motor prop missing the flounder by a frogs hair and turn around and go back and get him. 9 times out of 10 when you have a flounder run on you is because there is a bright moon in the sky above head.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the advice. Do you ever "net" crabs as well or just stick to gigging flounder? Also, what is the best condtions to go in?

thanks.

john
triguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Rider

Quote:
triguy7 (4/4/2008)Thanks for the advice. Do you ever "net" crabs as well or just stick to gigging flounder? Also, what is the best condtions to go in?

thanks.

john
I dont fool with the crabs. Its not that I dont like them its just that I like flounder better. I have taken people with me before that want to scoop crabs and will want me to chase them down when they miss them. I give them one shot at the crab and if you miss you will just have to wait for the next one. As far as the best conditions you want calm crystal clear water. But you dont always get these perfect conditions. If you wait for everything to be just right then you wont be doing much fishing. You just gotta go when you can and make the best of it. After you start going a lot and get a good feel of the land you will be able to make informed decesions on the best place to go for the night depending on wind direction and water clarity verses how much rain we have had... For instance if we have had a strong south wind blowing for a few days then chances are the north side of the bay has been taking a beating and will be all churned up. So the south side should have been protected and should be clear. Good luck where ever you decide to go.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Sailfish

MR Kinda summed it up on when and where.

He sounds like and Expert oke

BTW the trolling motor is the way to go except when the water gets to shallow,then you got to pole ( plus you don't tear up the grass,sand or mud oh forgot shells

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in