New to Flounder Giggin - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree6Likes

Old 06-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New to Flounder Giggin

Hey everyone, just a quick question I recently moved to Pensacola, and I have seen and heard a lot of people talking about flounder gigging, and my 6 year old son has been begging me to take him out. I have my old 17' CC flat bottom, and I recently got some lights for it. However I have no idea where to take him to maybe put him on some fish. I live over near big lagoon. Any information would be great and thanks in advance to everyone!
Cuddy52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Sailfish

I am from another area, so I can't give you locations. But, I would suggest you look for grass flats near deeper water. Look for flounder on the edges of sand/grass.
Rickpcfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Trigger

That's the area I usually work and to be honest it doesn't seem to be as productive as some of the "secret" spots that a lot of the guys here seem to have...never limited out around there but if you are willing to work and check a few different beaches you'll stumble into a few fish...try down anywhere by the pass (cept for Lighthouse beach unless you want to get harassed by the Man!) or around the docks on the north beaches if the winds are right...just got to get out there really and see what you can see! Good luck and welcome to the forum!
jhamilton226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Sailfish

Think like a Flounder become one with the Flounder. Or just look for drop offs,points and structure.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

The most important thing to me, other than water clarity of course, is the tide! You'll want to gig the high tide. 3 hours before til an hour or 2 after (or whenever you stop seeing flatties) that to me is the most important thing. If you do that, it shouldn't matter where you go. The tide pushes the bait in. The flounder follow the bait... so like FLOUNDER9.75 said... become one with the flounder!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
Grouper

its not all about killing fish at first just get out and look get a feel for it. your son may enjoy all the other creatures u see at night more than the elusive flounder bring a dip net and let him scoop up some crabs while u are looking. passes are best in the fall but i dont know pensacola well for this time of year.
Night Shift likes this.
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 01:00 AM   #7
Trigger

Cuddy,
lotsa good info above! Keep reading here. Go often, move around often. Like Craig and Hunter Boutwell (Boutwell Bamboo gig handles) told me several years ago: Go work a section. If you don't see any fish, pick up and haul ass to another spot. Keep repeating, and you will get your own spots! Plus, read this section often! Lotsa good guys and info here.
Best of luck to you guys! See you on the water!
gadget149 likes this.
www.nightshiftcharterservice.com
Night Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

As far as locations you could start out in and around the pass, sand island, fort pickens etc. anywhere in that area where theres good bottom. you can get them on straight sand or grass patches. you wont limit out there but it would be a good place to start. sometimes during the summer they hang out in brackish water. oh and try the gulf side of fort pickens and johnson beach if its really flat
Darren1765 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
mullet head
Trigger

Around long pond is good also from grand lagoon to base! Only problem is there is a lot of doc's! You can also try the Johnson beach side.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Sailfish

Don't listen to a damn thing these guys tell ya.....Once you start it becomes a very expensive obsession. And you will loose a bunch of sleep.

But if your determined to go most of what they have already said holds true. A few years ago I had never held a gig, or a boat. Now I can pretty much go and get a limit or close to it. Time on the water will teach you the most, again time on the water will teach you the most. Good luck.
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in