Navarre Pass - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 01-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Navarre Pass

Who supports the reopening of the Navarre Pass?
paul@navarrebeachrealty.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: Navarre Pass

Check out www.navarrepass.com for more information.
parrothead001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Sailfish

I vote no. Salt would kill grass beds in the sound. If god wants a pass there he will bring a hurricane in there to cut one.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Death From Above (1/16/2008)I vote no. Salt would kill grass beds in the sound.
thats what I'm wondering. I have heard several stories about how great bays were until a pass was cut, then the bay just died. So you will you be destroying the sound to save the offershorer's a couple of miles driving? I'm not trying to start a offshore vs inshore augruement here. And I know a pass would benefit the local, very local, economy. But as a sportsman, is it worth it?
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

God opened a pass there after some of the Hurricanes that we have had in the past. Our smart Goverment filled it back in.
Aufishtic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Aufishtic (1/16/2008)God opened a pass there after some of the Hurricanes that we have had in the past. Our smart Goverment filled it back in.
are you sure? I got this from parrothead's website

In 1959 Santa Rosa County?s leaders envisioned a course to secure the county?s economic potential that included the construction of Navarre Pass. In 1960, a study by the University of Florida found it feasible to construct the pass, and in 1964 the county decided to open it. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FLDEP) signed the permits shortly thereafter, and in 1965 a pass was opened, and boaters, fishermen, and others began to enjoy the influx of the gulf?s emerald-blue waters. The pass was navigable, but construction of the protective jetties had not yet been completed when two months after opening, the tidal claws of Hurricane Betsy ravished the coastline from New Orleans to Panama City. Before the storm was over the tidal sands had washed into the pass and reduced it to a shallow canal impassible by much more than a canoe. The county had to re-apply for additional permitting to re-dredge the pass, but they were a day late in submitting all the paperwork to the state. In 1968 a request from the county to the state to re-open the pass was denied.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Sailfish

Lets see....we opened a pass and a hurricane (which normally creates cuts) comes in and closes it back up. Sounds like somebody is trying to tell us something?
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
White Marlin

I'm pretty familar with this area as my grandparents live on the water in emerald pointe (about 4 miles east of navarre) theres no grass in this area to begin with, the area between the navarre bridge and the narrows is void of any type of vegetation, just sand bottoms. Plus take a look at the big lagoon area and sherman cove, its over flowing with grass and its pretty much right at the entrance to pensacola pass. The only concern i'd have about a pass in navarre is with hurricanes, would the surge be higher? not that it really matters because ivan and dennis both destroyed the majority of the homes in emerald pointe and the surrounding neighborhoods. I'd welcome a pass in navarre.

Ya'll are talking about saving a couple mile run? heres some numbers for you....my grandparents house to navarre bridge is 4 miles. there house to destin pass is 17 miles and to pensacola pass is 30 miles. we usually leave destin pass so w're taking about a savings of 25 miles a trip.......or 10+ gallons....or 30+ dollars. its not a difference of a few miles...its a difference of 25 miles.
biggamefishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

sure... you'll save 30 bucks a trip... but factor in what you'll have to pay in taxes to pay for the pass.... not to mention the inshore fishing will suck.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Sailfish

Right now I'm very pro pass but I'm not fully educated. I would like to see an updated ecological study to determine the potential impact on the water quality, marine life, etc. As I understand it a previous study done twenty years ago was inconclusive showing no clear forecast for degradation or betterment. If those were the results and an update study showed no real change then I would be even more pro pass. There would definitely be economic growth (and surely that comes with other headaches) but IMO growth will come to the area regardless and it would just be slightly accelerated if the pass were here.

Quote:
VS200B (1/16/2008)sure... you'll save 30 bucks a trip... but factor in what you'll have to pay in taxes to pay for the pass.... not to mention the inshore fishing will suck.
I'm not at all convinced taxes would go up - if anything I would think the increased economic activity would more than pay for pass maintenance by the county or state (assuming the county or statemaintains it). What information do you have that it would make inshore fishing suck? Not saying it wouldn't - I'm just interested to hear the reasoning.
need2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in