Navarre, Friday Night / Saturday Morning - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Navarre, Friday Night / Saturday Morning

I left around 10 pm Friday night to hit up the sound. This time there was alight North wind as opposed to the south or west winds from previous nights. This made the usually un-accommodating North side available. I had barely walked for ten seconds when I found one pressed up right on a piling of the boardwalk that passes under the bridge. We continued heading East along the shore when I spotted a bed. We followed it with no success and looped around again. The one thing I don't like about the area is the silty sand and mud clouds the water quickly if you are wading. Just when I thought we would make things too cloudy and lose the fish my friend found him and gigged him. At the old boat we turned around and started wading back towards the park. Just before the dock we found another nice bed in about 5 inches of water. We never found that one. I suspect he was waiting for food there and then headed out towards deeper water when the tide started to fall. We continued on our course and my friend found a nice 19 incher resting at the mouth of the tiny creek that flows through the park.. The recent rains made the water around the creek very murky from runoff but also washed a lot of bull minnows and other baitfish out. This made it a great place to find flounder. Also, for my friends first flounder, it wasn?t bad at all. With three flounder in only a short time were excited. I was carefully searching the pilings of an old dock and saw the depressing sight of movement and a line shaped cloud of sand. I followed it hoping that the flounder wouldn?t go too far and, sure enough he was right at my feet only about fifteen feet away. There were four of us total so I let the other new guy gig one so we could all have a fish. We kept walking towards Williams Creek but the light started to go dim. I knew we wouldn?t make it to the Creek in time which was a shame. I?m sure at least a few flounder would be hanging around to snatch up any minnows washed out of it. We saw one other gigger poling a small johnboat who had two flounder of decent size. We decided to turn around at the next dock. Just before reaching it, my friend and I exclaimed ?there?s a bed? at the same time the new guy was saying ?flounder.? Since he had already gigged one that I found he let me take the kill. We checked the dock, found nothing and turned around. Soon the light went out but we realized it was probably best because we were all exhausted. Wading through the water with all the gear can really tire you out.

After returning home both the new guys got a hands onlesson on how to properly fillet a flounder. The smallest was just over 16 inches and the largest 19 inches.

Now is the time to get out and get some decent flounder.
SeminoleSpearer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: Navarre, Friday Night / Saturday Morning

Nice report, Thanks :clap
Murphy's Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Sailfish

WTG SS

I'm glad somebody's gettin a few.

The dreaded the wind is killin us over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Sailfish

Excellent report with lots of details. Looking forward to chapter 2 with pictures.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Ahh pictures. One of my friend has some on his camera. I actually have a digital but my roomate sold it to me after he lost the charger so I have to order a charger before I can post any. If I can track down the pictures I'll post.
SeminoleSpearer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in