Lumens - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Old 05-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin
Default Lumens

I currently run 4 300w Halogens on my boat...but im curious about running 4 150w HPS lights. according to the website im looking at (e-conolights.com) a 500w halogen puts out 8500 lumens and the 150w HPS puts out 15000 lumens. is that really twice as bright??? or am i thinking of this wrong? also seeing as how im running 4 300w (1200w) now and if i went with the 4 150w (600w) my generator should have a lot less of a load on it correct?? i know how this technically sounds to me but just wanted to make sure that i am correct before trying out the HPS lights. they are about twice as much as i paid for my Halogens so i wanted some opinions before i try them out. Thanks in advance!
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Lumens

I'm no expert or EE, but lumens are a measure of brightness. After seeing the thread that mentioned them, I googled econlights.com......a lot of unhappy campers. Apparently their cheap ballasts don't hold up. Not saying that syyle light is not better, just be careful of what you are buying (quality wise). Just relaying what I read...I have no personal experience w/them.
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Grand Slam

I don't know about the light output differance, But the power consumption will be 1/2 for the 150 watt vs the 300 watt bulbs..
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Trigger

i wouldn't go hps. its a red spectrum of light, go with anything 6500k...it'll be much brighter. your hps is 2700k. ever consider led's?
lil_fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Mingo

The guy I flounder with has 5 -150 watt HPS bulbs on his rig. They pullalot ofamps to get them started but when they are fully charged they don't hardly any. They cut through murky water alot better than halogen bulbs and we have not blown a bulb in over a year. In my opinion they are worth every penny.
waterboy6921 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Sailfish

well to start off with im not unhappy with the halogens i have now...just thinking that if i can get more light and less load on my generator then why not??? then i will be able to easily run a battery charger wile fishing for those long nights. No i have never considered LED's...never really thought about it. not looking to spend a LOT of money on this...expically right now. was thinking about just buying 2 of them and putting one on each corner to see if it is even worth it then if i like it buy 2 more. just didnt know if it would even be worth messing with buying 2. thanks for all the info and keep it coming!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Sailfish

Also here is a link to the lights that i am looking at...if anyone knows of a better light please post a link so i can check it out. Thanks!!!

http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/E...ber=E-HC1H151Z
Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Mingo

well you have to look at the amp load you genny can put out fully loaded. they do take more power to start and less as they run. what i have had to do in the past is split the load on switches so that i start half and when the turn on then start the other half. as far as the lumens they do put out more and they are alittle brighter. the color rating is what you look at the lower the nuber the higher the penatration in muddy water. n if you need any more help just let me know I have alot of trial and error in lighting.. also if you look at bow.fishingcountry.com you will learn all you need from a bowfisherman.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Sailfish

well with my set up now i have 2 lights on one plug and 2 lights on another one and would leave it that way if i decide to change to the HPS lights. would just have to wait for them to heat up before pluging in the second plug. does anyone know about how long it takes for these to "warm up"? we use these same style lights on the boat i run offshore but they are much larger and take about 3-5 min to reach their full brightness. just dont know if the smaller ones take the same amount of time or less????
Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Trigger

The HPS's are definitely alot brighter than the halogens andwork great in muddy water. The only draw back is your start up amps (150 watt is about 4-5 amps at start up). I'm running 5 HPS with a 2400 watt Yamaha Inverter and start 3 at a time then the other 2 about a minute later. It works out pretty good while you're taking time to set up the TM and getting the gig out. I do like both halogen and the HPS...I haven't blown a bulb yet in the HPS. They are kind of pricey compared to the halogens (about $15.00 each. Unless you order them on line). The bulbs in the HPS's are also the screw in type (like a house bulb) where as the halogens has the long bulb that "clips" in. Hope it helps. Regardless, you'll kill some flatties either way no matter halogen or HPS.:letsdrink
Reel Twiztid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in