Looking for a new gigging boat - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree3Likes

Old 02-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Looking for a new gigging boat

I am shopping for a new gigging boat and have been considering a Carolina Skiff J16. Anyone gig using one of these? My gigging boat is pretty much used just for gigging. I might take it to St Joe Bay a few times a year scalloping but that's about it. Any opinions? Stability? Draft?
mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Grouper

I have a J16 I use for duck hunting. With all my gear decoys, guns, ammo, cooler, etc I can pull it through about 4 to 5 inches of water. Stability is good and Ive been in some pretty good white caps coming across the bay before and it has handled its own. The only thing I wish I could change are how low the gunnels of the boat are. I wish they were built a little higher. I know gigging and duck hunting are two different ball games
Sunshine17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine17 View Post
I have a J16 I use for duck hunting. With all my gear decoys, guns, ammo, cooler, etc I can pull it through about 4 to 5 inches of water. Stability is good and Ive been in some pretty good white caps coming across the bay before and it has handled its own. The only thing I wish I could change are how low the gunnels of the boat are. I wish they were built a little higher. I know gigging and duck hunting are two different ball games
Different ballgames but I value your input. What motor do you use? Tiller or console?

Old 02-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Grouper

I have a 2008 Suzuki 25hp V-twin tiller. Mine came with a built deck on the front which is considerably stable, and mounting of a trolling motor is easy as I did with mine.
Sunshine17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Snapper

I have a J16 I use extensively for flounder gigging. I have no complaints. Sometimes it is just me, other times I have a partner on the front gigging as well. Stability is great.
mirage2521 likes this.
kmerr80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Looking for a new gigging boat-flounder-jpg
Old 02-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine17 View Post

Yeah the gunnels are pretty low. If you want to stay in the 16' class, they also make a 16' DLX (or at least used to) with higher gunnels, and may be a bit wider as well. Probably can handle more HP as well. I used to run a 198 DLX that was a GREAT gigging platform.
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounderpounder View Post
Yeah the gunnels are pretty low. If you want to stay in the 16' class, they also make a 16' DLX (or at least used to) with higher gunnels, and may be a bit wider as well. Probably can handle more HP as well. I used to run a 198 DLX that was a GREAT gigging platform.
We're you poling that beast or using a trolling motor?
Old 02-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
Snapper

To elaborate a little more on mine. I have a Honda 25 tiller on mine. It pushes it just fine. When and if this motor ever wears out I will make sure I buy one with power tilt-because when I get to my spots I always lift my motor out of the water and it gets "old" when running to different areas to find the fish in the same trip. So for right now I make do with it. I steer my boat with my gig while standing up front in "gigging mode". I have a transom type trolling motor on the transom, and I clamp it down once I tilt the outboard up. Turn it on and then go to gigging-using the gig to kick around as I need. My boat just has a rear bench seat and the stock platform on front. I fabricated a handle type console to use so I can stand up and drive with a extension on my throttle-much like the old go devil mud boats used. This allows me to have more room for coolers, genny, and other junk. Like I stated earlier mine is plenty stable with 2 people on the front, maneuvers around easily, etc. Also these boats are a dime a dozen on craiglist throughout the panhandle and central FL (if your hunting used). Hope this helps
mirage2521 likes this.
kmerr80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
We're you poling that beast or using a trolling motor?
;

LOL! I'm old and lazy. TM up front. Although the hull would float shallower than a TM could handle, so I poled on occasion. Never felt like a "beast". Nice and roomy for 2 up on the bow (8' beam). 90 Honda would do 40 on a calm day. Wish I still had it! I had a neighbor with a 24DLX,,,,,,now THAT was a beast!

Last edited by Flounderpounder; 02-08-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in